Discuss Just wondering in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago as I was getting fed up with being let down or charged too much by plumbers and thought about adding it to my skills. In the end I decided its best to be great at one thing rather than average at a few and it takes a good 5 years at least to get to a very high standard in one area. There are a few lads/lasses on here that do other things aswell as tiling, but I'll let them tell you about it!

A

akinsontiles

I like to consider myself a tiling plasterer. Been doing both from day one as its exactly what I was taught from college that you should be able to prepare your own backgrounds for tiling that way you can prepare your own backgrounds for tiling onto and spot if something is wrong firstly and also sort it out. It tends to help with the total revenue I receive from my jobs and the duration I can be on one site for. I've quite often been asked to dry line and then skim rooms for customers only to end up taking on the bathroom tiling etc through firms that come onto the site later.

I'm interested in the building game as well and see that a lot of the skills required for bricklaying etc are very similar to tiling. Its all about plumb and level!

second fix finish carpenter,nvq 3,started tiling kitchens and bathrooms when i was working for the council,and been at it ever since,i think personally that if i only had the one trade i would have struggled at times,i learnt the hard way tiling,made all the mistakes and had to rectify them,and when you do that you dont make them mistakes again,i am nearly 45 years old,and still deliberating on doing a plumbing and heating course,as i no it will open many more doors,and hopefully keep me constantly busy,wether i do it is another thing,watch this space lol.been busy without advertising for the last 25 years,but the last 6 months have been very bitty,go away recession,the moral of my story is add the strings,but its all down to each individaul.

Somerset
Interesting post. Been to price some jobs where I did not win because I would not do plumbing work - me and plumbing dont mix well, but I am an outstanding swimmer!

As point of thread, I came into tiling through building restoration route - so many folks asked for tiling work that I did more and more, I enjoyed the work, so took up tiling full time. Have since taken a 6 week training to augment my "on the fly" training/experience. Have done a fair bit of painting and decorating for customers in addition to tiling work, and took Part P route for electrical installations a few years back - still do some of that to keep my hand in but only small domestic work.

Reply to Just wondering in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi. I posted a thread yesterday but hadn't received any answers. Probably says more about the...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
2 3
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Just wondering
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.