Discuss Kitchen Floor Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davereid

Hi

Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the shower area, walls and floor. I'm pleased to say all tiles intact and no cracked grout.... thank you.

Now onto my next project, the kitchen. Looking to tile the floor with 33cm by 33cm porcelain tiles.

The kitchen is downstairs and approx 5m by 3m. One end of the room is a concrete subfloor which extends into the room approx 1.2m. The other side of the roo the concrete is an L shape. The end of the L shape will be covered by a run of base units but the top of the L and side of the L will not be covered. In between the two areas of concrete is 15cm wide floorboards which are bowed in the middle.

Im thinking of removing floorboards and replacing with 25mm wbp ply. Clearly I will need expansion joints exactly where the concrete meets the ply. I've calculated that to get expansion joints in the correct place I will need to remove 8cm width from one edge of concrete. I'm hoping the plywood could bridge this gap. I would then bring the remaining concrete up to level with SBR/Addy slurry and SLC.

1. Firstly is there such a thing as some floors that can never be tiled?

2. Does it sound like a workable plan or not?

3. If its workable, would others use ditra over the whole floor?

4. Is there anyway it could be done as brickwork or again are there some floors that can only ever be done as non-brickwork pattern?

Thanks for reading this far! Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Kitchen Floor Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB