UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Kitchen prep before tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

colick

Hi all and hope all are well.

We recently employed a builder to make an extension on our small house which would give us a new kitchen dinier.
The extension is almost finished and we are comeing towards tiling. We are using porcelain 30x60 slate effect tiles but the problem is the floor itself.
Its a block and beam affair with polystyrene wedges hanging between the reinforced beams. On top of this we have 20mm chipboard.
The issue is its very 'flexible'. The builder 'who shall be laying the tiles' has voiced his fears but the only solution he can think of is to take the whold floor out and remake it more solid. We were planning on putting 6mm backerboards on top of the chipboard before tiling.

Can anyone give any ideas which can help with the 'flex' in the floor, what adhesive we should use and any other prep required.

The builder is a good guy and has said he wouldn't want to put his name to the job as he feels the tiles will lift after a few months but their must be a way of solidifying the floor before laying, isn't their????

Here's hoping someone can help.

thanks in advance.

R

Rookery

Hi, that is classed as a floating floor and as it is, it is not suitable to accept tiles of any sort.

If you have the choice to remove the floating floor then i would remove and install a screed... no adhesive or overboarding will work on floating floors IMHO.. sooner or later it will fail.
Agreed. I wouldn't tile on a floating floor ever. I'm surprised the builder didnt spec it differently seeing as he's doing the tiling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Kitchen prep before tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Kitchen Tiling Guide This simple Kitchen Tiling Guide is something a lot of people could have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.