Discuss Knauf Brio board anyone tiled on this? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Hi all, has anyone had much experience tiling onto Knauff Brio board? It is a board supplied with there wet underfloor heating system, It is gypsum based and only 6mm thick.

Just wondered if anyone has had any come backs or problems tiling direct onto this type of board?

Tiled 3 ensuite floors on top of Brio 23, I'm more than certain that it was 23mm thick (I think that's what the numbers mean)
It was over the top of wet ufh & as far as I'm lead to believe its meant to be floating, the joiners fitted 2x2 & nailed it every 300mm & filled between them with a semi dry mix (not sure what this was).
It wasn't the greatest of floors to tile to as I could have levelled it before laying but I've not had any come back from it & all is still good, been down nearly a year.

P

peckers

The problem i face is that the base has been fitted on top of undulating concrete and screwed to battens at 400mm centres and there is some deflection in the floor. Now if the builders had leveled the concrete before they inserted the Brio base board then there wouldn't have been a problem.

As it is a gypsum based engineered board it is to be treated and tiled onto in the same way you would a gypsum based screed (as specified by the adhesive manufacturer)

Due to it being so far out of level and uneven it needs to be leveled and I would have wanted to overboard it to stop the deflection (Even though it is minimal) but due to having to put 18mm of slc on it i am unable to over board it as there is not enough clearance in the door ways. I would normally use slc and addys specifically made to be used on gypsum but they are not so flexible as cement based products because of the polymers in them. and due to the deflection I have been told that cement based products should be used as they stand a better chance because there is some deflection.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The problem i face is that the base has been fitted on top of undulating concrete and screwed to battens at 400mm centres and there is some deflection in the floor. Now if the builders had leveled the concrete before they inserted the Brio base board then there wouldn't have been a problem.

As it is a gypsum based engineered board it is to be treated and tiled onto in the same way you would a gypsum based screed (as specified by the adhesive manufacturer)

Due to it being so far out of level and uneven it needs to be leveled and I would have wanted to overboard it to stop the deflection (Even though it is minimal) but due to having to put 18mm of slc on it i am unable to over board it as there is not enough clearance in the door ways. I would normally use slc and addys specifically made to be used on gypsum but they are not so flexible as cement based products because of the polymers in them. and due to the deflection I have been told that cement based products should be used as they stand a better chance because there is some deflection.

Sounds like a bit of an abortion of a job.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Knauf Brio board anyone tiled on this? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I will soon be installing the Wunda EPS 400 UFH boards in my own kitchen, approx 50m2...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi all, moved into a property and dining area has been tiled. The tiles have been placed...
Replies
Views
Diggerdog01
D
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB