Discuss knowing when to say NO in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I have upset a major tile supplier by telling a potential customer that the tile supplier in my opinion had mis-specified a tile for a high traffic area ,the upshot of it is that I told the customer I would need to see the product data sheets and Ceram test results of their products before fixing the job and if they could not provide these then i could not offer a warranty on the work
I know I will never get another job from the supplier but needed to cover myself and them as if it goes wrong it will be very costly for whoever fixes it and potentially the supplier involved
have you ever had to decline work which you know to be mis-specifeid ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If you firmly beleive that these tiles were not suitable for the application and you fixed them you would be guilty of professional negligence. Yu have been reasonable in asking for evidence of their suitability. You have fulfilled your duty of care to your direct customer and to your own business. You have also protected the supplier from supplying goods not of the nature, substance or quality reasonably demanded by the customer. If they have done this deliberately and knowingly then you are better off out of it anyway. If they have made a genuine mistake I would have thought they would be thanking you for saving them a potentially costly civil suit. Either way your actions appear to be beyond reproach.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
well when the suppliers think they know every think there lies the road to ruin.when i worked for worlds end tiles i was asked to test every new line before they bought how many surpliers ask fixer to test there prouducts today

True. I know he manager of my local topps used to run a shop of his own..... They sold car parts.... That seems a reasonable grounding to advise on tiles ..... Doesn't it??

P

Pebbs

Its a difficult one, theres been many a time when I've known the specified material is a pile of crap and not fit for purpose. I haven't said we wouldn't install it, I told them I didn't think it was fit for purpose and I want a disclaimer on that particular element. They take it two ways, either they issue the disclaimer or they toggle of, speak with the architect, who then rings me, listens...or doesn't listen, and then we carry on. Sometimes I get the tile supplier ring up, because I have caused ripples in his fat pocket of commission, thats when we have a show down. You did the right thing Gary you have to throw it right back at the supplier, why should we take responsibilty for a material that is not fit for purpose, because someone fell foul of a rep in a cheap suit, who really doesn't give a s**t if that product is fit for purpose or not.

Lynn

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Its a difficult one, theres been many a time when I've known the specified material is a pile of crap and not fit for purpose. I haven't said we wouldn't install it, I told them I didn't think it was fit for purpose and I want a disclaimer on that particular element. They take it two ways, either they issue the disclaimer or they toggle of, speak with the architect, who then rings me, listens...or doesn't listen, and then we carry on. Sometimes I get the tile supplier ring up, because I have caused ripples in his fat pocket of commission, thats when we have a show down. You did the right thing Gary you have to throw it right back at the supplier, why should we take responsibilty for a material that is not fit for purpose, because someone fell foul of a rep in a cheap suit, who really doesn't give a s**t if that product is fit for purpose or not.

Lynn

im glad my suits aren't cheap....

J

Jeff the tiler

Was the customer purchasing directly with the supplier and you just fixing?
If the latter then I am not sure how you could be liable.
How the supplier describes the product I presume would become an issue between them and the customer if proven the tiles are not fit for purpose.
Totally respect your decision on advising them of your feelings with regards to the quality and by doing so probably open yourself to claims if you lay them and they prove unfit for purpose. But if you did not say anything then not sure how you can be liable

S

Spud

I got a phone call from the client today claiming they had all the technical specs for the product ,great I said send them over to me via e-mail and i will look at them and if they are all okay then i will happily fit the job for you ,This was at 12.30 pm "can you give me a ball park figure on fixing costs ? " "no not until i see data sheets and test results and i have done a site visit ,seen a program of works and discussed expansion joints with the architect " "okay I will send the info over to you "
I haven't received the info I need

S

Spud

I got all the info sent over today and did a site visit turns out I was mis informed and the material does comply with ISO 10545 for floor tiling use, so I have priced it up and am looking forward to what might be an interesting project ,I also e-mailed the supplier and apologised for my mistake it would have been a lot easier if they had sent me the technical specifications prior to asking me to price for the job but I guess you have to cover your self as no one else will

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to knowing when to say NO in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB