UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss large 60x30cm porcelain tiles on suspended plywood with backerboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mirjam

Dear Tilers Forum,

On our ground floor - for various reasons, which I don't explain here, we want to put down:

- existing concrete
- vapour and radon barrier
- insulation boards and 70x25mm wood battens
- 18mm hardwood plywood
- 6mm hardiebacker

then the question: CAN WE USE LARGE PORCELAIN TILES (30X60X9mm) ????
or are smaller tiles preferable? (30x30x9mm) for example?
if so, why?
Thanks,
Alexander and Mirjam.

M

Mirjam

2 reasons:

- we want floor insulation, since it is the ground floor
- there is bitumen based aspestos glue on the concrete which we prefer not to scrape off, but rather cover it up as we have been told by aspestos experts. because of the bitumen we cannot glue anything onto it (otherwise we could use strong insulation boards instead of the ply construction.

why dont you just tile to he concrete ?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to large 60x30cm porcelain tiles on suspended plywood with backerboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I'm having the majority of the ground floor of my house tiled (35m²) and I'm not...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I urgently need some advice and not sure where to turn. We are having some major...
Replies
Views
Rookery
R
R
Hi, We have been in our house a few years but noticed as soon as we moved in that the tiles...
Replies
Views
Rosewood
R
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
U
About a year ago, I had 64 sqm porcelain tiles installed on top of a concrete slab, forming a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.