UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss large floor movment joints ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
10 meters max bay length, max square meters 40m2 max aspect ratio 2:1. bear in mind these are maximums and i always say just becasue you can does not mean you should. i would personally cut this in half and go for max 5m with max 20m2. you need a joint in your doorway anyway.

is it new concrete or old?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Terry, most people would go with BS:5385 maximum tile field no more than 10m2 in any direction, but I would go with my own gut feeling. Perimeter expansion is a must, doorways should be broken by expansion joints, just my opinion, corridors with perimeter joints 7/8 lin m. I like to err on the side of caution. As you have no ufh, I would go with BS recommendations.

If there are no expansion joints in the concrete subfloor then you should be OK with just perimeter joints,I would still install them in any doorways, just to be sure. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

R

Rich

I dont install them in the doorways unless the floor needs to have a joint (that said, it would do no harm), then it is much easier to install an expansion joint without it standing out. Are you going to be using a pre formed expansion joint profile or silicone? More often then not you can find a colour matched silicone to the tile or the grout so that you would hardly notice it. Its an option if the setting out doesnt lend itself to joints in the door ways.

J

jjoc

how does eveyone get away with using a pre formed expansion joint on a domestic job. When I've mentioned them to customers they have always been very dismissive of having an expansion joint on show in their home - a really tricky one on a domestic job as I can understand their concern in a way. Spending out on some expensive naturalstone that they want to look uniformed and continous - then being told they need expansion joints every 7m or so. What does eveybody do?

G

Gall.B

Silicon joint colour matche with grout.

Kmow what you mean the domestic punters dont like the idea of expansion joints and get flusterd.
I normally email them some pics if they are concerned and show possible options.

I normally go for between 5 7 metre before expansion depending on sub-floor as Phill says go with your gut.
Have been on some jobs mainly car showrooms where the spec is 4 metres.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

A couple of examples, some preformed, some home made.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 62
  • e2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 53
  • e3.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 56
  • e4.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 60
  • e5.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 55
  • e6.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 51
  • e7.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 52

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
to be fair most people dont put joints in door ways and most of the time they get aay with it. i just dont see the point in offering advice about what you might get away with so will always try to advice based on correct best practice. The reason for the joint is not so much to do with expansion as it is contraction. As your tile adhesive dries and your tile face move during the thermal cycling of the room the whole thing will move. this happens much more slowly of course if no underfloor heating is present. The door threshold represents a "restraint point" where there is an abrupt change to the aspect ratio. There should be a joint in the concrete at this point also but if there is not and t has not cracked in anyway you are likley to be reasonably safe. However this will be the weak point in the floor so if it is going to crack at all it is likley to happen here first.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to large floor movment joints ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.