Discuss Large Quartz mirror fleck tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi, I had my shower installed by a local (but very reputable) builder some 18 months ago and tiled with the above tiles. Initially there was an issue with the tile adhesive not setting and slight mvoement in the tiles. He came out, agreed they were no good and stripped the tiles completely, cleaned them off and re-applied them with a two-part adhesive and they set with 24-48 hours. Since then all hunky dory until a few days ago.
I noticed one of the grout joints has cracked (along the height of two of the tiles). When I look closer two of the tiles on one side of the grout seem to be slightly (1mm) proud of the two on the other - ie I can very slightly see the exposed cracked edge of the grout rather than just the face. If I put pressure on the protruding tiles I can push them back - please bear in mind the movement is no more than 'very slight'. I then thought I would check further and worked my way around the tiles tapping them with my fingers and although most tiles have a solid clunk to them similar to tapping a breeze block wall (which is what is behind) there is an area of about 1 sq m from the ceiling/corner that has a hollow sound to it in places almost like there is a slight gap behind the tiles.
I have not approached the builder yet (he will love me but I'm sure he would rectify it) but am curious to know if I am being petty or is there a likelihood the tiles could get worse and heaven forbid fall?

U

Unregistered

Welcome to the forum. It's sounds like your installer used bucket adhesive the first time. This would never set on a tile any larger than 300mm x300mmm.
As for the second time, did you notice what type of adhesive he used? and to me it sounds like he has dot and dabbed the tiles. Again not anywhere near enough contact with the tile using this amateur method.
Hi, thanks for your response. You are right - he did use bucket adhesive first time - I think just because he had plenty of it. The second time though he used a 2 part ( I had it recommended through this site I think) - I did see him working and he was being pretty thorough with the adhesive - even leaving time for tiles to dry thoroughly before completely tiling around them - it was slow but I hoped more effective.
I was more concerned that possibly the surface behind the adhesive (assuming it is plastered) may be loosening from the wall, and is not strong enough to hold the tile - not sure if that is likely.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Large Quartz mirror fleck tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB