Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Large Tile Cutters in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ripmaster

I'm considering large tiles for the flooring. I'm a 'customer' not a pro-tiler, so just seeking some independent clarification. Are there any issues to be concerned about when contemplating large porcelain tiles for flooring? I have some choices in 800*800, 1000*1000 and 1200*600 sizes. These are for general flooring in common areas (corridors etc) of the house and in lobby and lounge areas. Circa 280 SQMs in total so I'm sure that a cutter will be needed at some point. Most tilers I have consulted locally have so far stated that their portable machines can only do 700mm max, so I need advice on whether I should abandon the large tile idea, or if there are any reasonably priced machines I can buy/hire in for the job.

Thanks!

D

Daz

What area are you in Rip? There may be a tiler on here that has a cutter capable of cutting larger format tiles that is local to you. I'm sure they would be happy to PM you and arrange a time to quote.

Other points to consider when selecting a tiler is their ability to fix larger format tiles, i.e. adhesive knowledge / choice, their advice on sub-floor preparation and general fixing technique. Do you have underfloor heating, too?

Good luck.

R

Ripmaster

Cheers.

Build is in North West Wales. Yes UFH with 100m centres and screed already poured and setting as we speak. I'm about 5 weeks away from the conventional 1 day per mm drying time.

Question: Is is "better' to have the UFH switched on before the floor tiles are laid? I've received conflicting advice on whether this is necessary. I'm of the mind that even if the floor is dry that it should be 'force cracked' by implementing he heating before the tiles are put down. That way the worst case expansion for the screed will haeve been reached before the tiles are put down rather than after. Am I being too cautions? Advice please. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ripmaster

If it's a poured floor it's not the standard screed and will have to be treated differently, Have you had any advise for this.

Only UFH specific advice I've received so far (from the UFH installer) is that the skin that forms on the top will need to be worn away (either naturally through other trades walking all over it or with a machine if natural wearing does not do the job) and that something needs to be applied to the floor before tiles can be laid as the cement based adhesive will not take to the screen directly. My understanding is that cement based adhesive needs to be sued because of the lack of porosity in Porcelain tiles. Regards heating in advance, then it seems to be a nice to have if we can do it, but not essential. I'm pressing ahead with my theory that putting heating on before tiling (but not of course during) would be better, but would appreciate any input based on experience rather than my theories :lol:

The property is about 450 SQM and the screed was poured in one wing last October and the remainder was done a week or so before Xmas, so don't plan to start any tiling until each area has had at least 60days clear tie to set. 1st phase is already well past that point by now. Remainder should be good to go in about 5 weeks.

D

Daz

I'm pretty sure that you need to allow the screed time to dry (1mm per day). The UFH then needs to be gradually brought up to full temp, left for a few days then cooled off. As the outside temp is so low, it is best to bring the heating down to approx 12 degrees (max). Hopefully you will not experience any issues with the screed or heating so can commence tiling. Do not change the UFH temp for at least 28 days post tiling and grouting.

Yes, you will need to prime the screed with an acrylic primer prior to tiling.

Reply to Large Tile Cutters in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
gamer1
G

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Large Tile Cutters
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • BAL

Votes: 27 31.0%