Discuss Laying 600x600 tiles in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Starting a bathroom next week laying 600x600 tiles on both floors and walls. For the floor ply has been layed and the floor is good and level, am planning on using solid bed 10mm towel but was wondering if its poss to use felxi tubbed addy as the floor isnt that big?
Also the walls, should i be using the same trowel size for the walls or smaller, solid bed for around the bath and for easy use tubbed addy ?

Not too sure, Cheers

Last edited:
S

sWe

I see :thumbsup:

Enduro:

I always check the bucket life of adhesives when I chose them. I prefer to not mix so often when I work, as I find it distracting.

Ardex X 7 G Plus is similar to one of the Ardex products I normally use, and it has a bucket life of about 5h; that kind of reduces the risk of mixing too much in one go :yes: It also has an open time of about 20 minutes @ 20 degrees celsius, which lets you focus more on achieving a consistant result than if you have to mix and apply more adhesive all the time. Groutable after 8h.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sWe

use x7 a fair bit. probably best gear i have used on walls. is the plus version flexi as i have only used normal x7?

Aye, it's flexi, and it's got better coverage and adhesion. Over here, X7+ is Ardex's standard adhesive. They don't sell regular X7 any more; they phased it out about a year and a half ago, IIRC. Their premium adhesives are similar to the 5xxx and 6xxx series adhesives they market in the UK. The wall version is called X77 and the floor version is called X78. They replace and improve upon an older adhesive they called X701. The wall version has the the best "hanging" ability I've ever seen, and I've yet to have to backbutter a tile when using the floor version.

S

sWe

Hi Guys, a bit more info the floor is chipboard with 9mm ply overlay screwed to death by the joiner. Cheers for the input on not using tubber gear and will defo single part flexi, on that note is it best to use a solid bed for tiles that size on the walls too?

Don't confuse solid bed with flat bed.

A solid bed refers to full or near full coverage and adhesion of the tiles onto the substrate. In other words, there are no air pockets or gaps in the adhesive. It's best achieved with some sort of notched trowel, as the notches allow air to escape as you press the tile into the adhesive.
The opposite would be dot and dab or some such, and no serious tiler would dot and dab tiles.

A flat bed, which is made with a flat trowel (no notches) can be solid in the sense that it covers the substrate completely, but it's harder to achieve complete coverage of the backs of the tiles, especially when they're large. That means air bubbles, which compromises the strength of the tiles themselves, and their "sticking" strength.
It's also harder to control the thickness of the adhesive bed using flat bed trowels.

The only times I ever use flat bed trowels is when I'm applying screeds, or really small mosaics.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Laying 600x600 tiles in bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I've got a job coming up soon in a bathroom, wall to ceiling around the bath then...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB