Discuss Laying Backer/insulation boards in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

JCT

TF
Do these always need to be fitted with adhesive over timber chipboard flooring? Is it possible to just screw it down with washers. Here is what it says on the site. It's 6mm board.

When installing onto concrete sub floor we recommend using our flexible tile adhesive, when installing onto wooden floors we recommend using tile adhesive and/or screws and washers.

tile backer board | underfloor heating | ProWarm™

Customer wants the finished floor level to be as close as possible to the hallway floor which is carpet.

JCT

TF
To be fair I'd get that chipboard up and replace it with ply too perhaps.

If it's not on concrete I'm not sure you'd particularly need insulation. Are you using it just as a backer board so you're not tiling to the chipboard?

I'm using it for both. As a backer board instead of ply and as an insulator as I was under the impression it was needed even on wood.

JCT

TF
Thanks guys. Ripping up the chipboard and plying isn't really an option. Will take too long and just add cost. Insulation boards have already been purchased and floor is ready for starting tomorrow. I will install the boards using rapid set.

Here's something I've always wondered about. It's recommended to use 1 part flexi sticking the boards down on the chipboard but this would be unsuitable if tiling straight onto the chipboard. Why is ok to use spf on the boards?

O

Old Mod

Thanks guys. Ripping up the chipboard and plying isn't really an option. Will take too long and just add cost. Insulation boards have already been purchased and floor is ready for starting tomorrow. I will install the boards using rapid set.

Here's something I've always wondered about. It's recommended to use 1 part flexi sticking the boards down on the chipboard but this would be unsuitable if tiling straight onto the chipboard. Why is ok to use spf on the boards?

Because the idea of the adhesive is not for holding it down, it's for taking the unevenness out of the substrate you're putting the boards on to, the mechanical fixings (screws) hold the board down.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Laying Backer/insulation boards in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB