Discuss Laying quarry tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sazza

Hi,

I am having a quarry tiles laid and the tiler has asked me to get the materials for laying the tiles. I haven't any experience of this so was hoping for some advice.

So I have a concrete floor, with layer of screed, underfloor heating insulation mats, electric underfloor heating mats and finally a self leveler. I am laying fully extruded quarry red quarry tiles and have been told to leave a grout gap of 10mm and to use flexible grouting I think I also need flexible adhesive becasue of the underfloor heating. The tiles will be sealed prior to grouting and again after - I want a sealer with a matt finish. The floor is 12m2 and the tiler has said that he will do this in 1 day so do not know if I need rapid set materials. I have been recommened Lithofin KF Stain Stop as a sealer although tiler said HG sealer would be ok.

So can anyone advise what I would need to get these tiles laid and ifd possible the sort of quantities I would need?
Also regarding the grout colour I was just going to get a grey grout but is there a colour that is traditionally used for red quarry tiles or a best colour grout?

Cheers,

Sazza

S

steve187

Hi and welcome
I find it strange that a tiler has asked you to obtain the materials, most tilers like to use adhesives, grout etc. that they are used to, and know will do the job without any problems.

If he leaving it to you i would suggest using a well known make such as Mapei, Keraquick grey should be ok, do you have a tile giant near you, they will give you some advise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I would be asking the question why he has not asked to supply his own materials or at least told you what to get. Smacks of him generating an opportunity for a get out if things go wrong. Does this tiler know what he is doing. Am I just being paranoid and cynical?

M

Michael kiss

This is something your tiler should be doing, advising you about the materials he is going to use and explaining the process of the job from start to finnish, if he can't or will not do this, use someone who will.
There are brilliant tilers on this forum who go the extra mile to get jobs, but this bit really is just standard practice. If he can't be bothered to do this, what's he going to be like with your job?

D

Daz

As above, this seems an odd request to come from a professional tiler.
If he plans to complete the job in a day, then you will definitely need to be supplying flexible rapid set adhesive and grout.

As another point of interest (and following on from Sir Ramics advice) if the tiles do need sealing then there is absolutely no way the job can be completed in a day. The tiles require at least 24 hrs to dry, post fixing / grouting before the sealer can be applied, otherwise you are in danger of sealing moisture into the tile which will leave a cloudy, misty look to the tile finish. I think you need to discuss the job, materials and work flow with your "tiler" and re-assure yourself that not only does he know what he is doing but you have confidence in his methods and ability.

Good luck,

Daz

Reply to Laying quarry tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Laying quarry tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.