UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Leaching onto slate tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Charles Bean

Can anyone help with removing leaching from grout?, adhesive?, cement base? to my front door steps which are tiled with slate. The attached photo shows the white staining. It is hard and will not scrub or wash off.

Attachments

• steps.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 299
D

DHTiling

Hello Charles and welcome..

You have what looks very much like Efflorescence.

I would recommend some Aqua mix Eff-Ex..

All the info is here..>> http://custombuildingproducts.com/docs/data_sheets/EffEx.pdf?user=diy&lang=en

or you can try Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid

Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid Substitute is a premixed acidic treatment designed to remove grout haze, mineral deposits, rust stains, mortar smears, and efflorescence. Effective for the removal of most hard water stains, lime deposits, and soap scum. Also removes cement grout and mortar residue from tile, concrete, and masonry. Etches concrete. No VOCs, No phosphates.

This could return though as obvioulsy you have some salt issues in the step substrate which is rising to the surface..
It can be quite common in outside situations like this but can be controlled with products like above..

Once you get them clean then we can advise something to seal them with.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Can anyone help with removing leaching from grout?, adhesive?, cement base? to my front door steps which are tiled with slate. The attached photo shows the white staining. It is hard and will not scrub or wash off.

I maybe wrong, but this looks like a common problem when a sealer designed for indoors has been used outside. The more frequent wetting causes these white stains.
Not sure at the moment how to remove,will try do a bit of research.
Have seen this before. Also saw this inside a house, customer had an expensive glass walkway built between her house and extension. This was tiled in black limestone & tiled. She had a persistent leak, water was seeping through for months. Same marks appeared. tiles had been sealed with sealer that was for inside & not constant, frequent wetting.

In theory, no need to seal slate tiles outside.
how often do you get someone to re-seal your slate tiled roof ....
Never,because it has never been sealed !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Leaching onto slate tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Anyone have a solution to softening/fixing/removing really ugly grout lines from stain resistant...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.