Currently reading:
Leaking shower

Discuss Leaking shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

AlanR

I'm not having much luck lately.
You may have seen my problem with my Limestone Flags.
Now my newish shower is leaking, a quad enclosure, tray to ceiling tiles.
Had an extension built, new boiler, refitted bathroom.
the plumber fitted tray, tiled, fitted enclosure, Manhattan make.
After a while, a drip from below the tray, and from round the edge of the tray.
We had him trying to find the leak for months. took a bottom row tile out, and resealed. .
Now it's leaking again, same places. Decided to regrout and seal myself, no confidence in plumber.
The grout did not go full depth of the tiles, should it?
Found one tile second row up only held in by the grout, adhesive on tile but not stuck to wall. Wall dry
Plastered blockwork,
Tiles below loose, removed them. He stuck the tile back with silicone.
Wall damp/wet, mold on sealer.
Loose tiles behind the enclosure wall plate. means having to remove enclosurewhich is sealed to tray and wall.
Would a tiler be the best to ask and would one take on this job.
Sorry it's a long one again.
HELP! PLEASE

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Alan

We could really do with knowing what kind of adhesive your plumber used to fix your tiles to the wall, and also what trowel he used.

Grout should go the full depth of the tile yes. If the grout is only thin, then water can start to break it down much more easily. grout joints should be full of grout like you say.

Also, what preparation work was done to the walls before the tiles went on? For the adhesive to be stuck to the tile and not the wall sounds to me like the wall was PVA'd first.

Any additional information you can give will really help :thumbsup:

A

AlanR

IMG_0384.jpg IMG_0385.jpg IMG_0380.jpg IMG_0386.jpg What adhesive, grout, or trowl he used I don't know. I was at work.
I don't think he treated the walls.
I have some pics, I'll see if I can attach them
The whole tile which was loose looks to have the adhesive put on the tile, not the wall. don't know if they are all like this.
The tile round the corner bottom row is loose. As are the whole 2nd row and part tile bottom row to the right, which are both under the enclosuer frame

A

AlanR

The bathroom is not part of the extension and the walls were only skimed
after removing the old tiles.
The wall had two to three weeks drying time. The shower was in use, early November last year.
It had been fully grouted, even if it was not thick enough, I removed the grout yesterday, when I found the loose tiles.
The tiles had some spacers in but they seem thin. Couldn't use an abrasive grout rake as they are too thick. Used a Plasplugs type with teeth.

C

Ceramica Tiling

The tiles clearly have not bonded to the plaster wall to create a water tight seal. From experiance water will creep in the smallist crack and over time find a way out at another location. Water is the strongest element you can not cut or break it and it has carved out our landscape in the form of glaciers....

Anyway to fix your problem

1.Take of shower door and tiles
2.Tank shower walls
3.Solid bed fix tiles with ardex 77
4.Grout with ardex fs
5.Door back on
6.Silicone where needed.......

Reply to Leaking shower in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.