Discuss Lets have this clear in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys.
this is a side track to a new members advice thread.

This goes out to you Profs...
I hear a lot of you find ready mixed addy, tubbed adhesive to be expensive against its brother (powdered)
A lot of you prefer powdered adhesive over readymixed.. due to it properties price etc etc & personal choice.

But being a personal choice of my own and following the Professional adhesive companies product data specification sheets doesn't make me wrong to use or advise on these terms.

B

bugs183

No ones saying we are always right and yes it's your choice, but those company recommendations (which i've only looked at today, btw) in my opinion are really not that good. In fact they need to be addressed.
It has amazed me to see the spec sheets advising tubbed with tanking kits, and also no mention of suitablity of adhesive for tile choice.
Anyone could download those, follow the specs to the letter and install porcelain or large format tiles in a wet area.
Totally asking for trouble, as the adhesive will not dry properly due to the moisture in the adhesive having nowhere to go.

B

bugs183

Sometimes there is nothing that years of experience cannot replace, i always look at all the data sheets and reserve some judgment these days, as there are lots of manufacturers promising lots of things that their products cannot possibly deliver.
But i am amazed at these data being so behind the times.
This is where forums like this really shows its value as our collective experience and opinions can sometimes be more helpful than what the manufacturers are telling us.

B

bugs183

Personally i think tubbed adhesive is aimed at the DIY market rather than trade.

I dunno, tubbed does have its day. If your using small (less than 200x200) Ceramic tiles in a non wet area then why not use tubbed, some of it like Biscem Showerproof is fab for days like that, its good value for money and you get some free buckets out of the deal, but how often do we tile in that style. In fact it even called Biscem anymore it's been so long!!!!
If it's large format, porcelain, in wet areas, on waterproofing or any combination of these then really it's just comman sense to go with cement based. And these days it's a huge percentage of the work done.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Lets have this clear in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, I'm not much of a forum poster, and am also new here to this one. Additionally, in...
Replies
Views
GoneGuy
G
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
T
Hi Everyone, First time I've tried tiling and I'm having problems getting the tiles to stay up...
Replies
Views
L
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on getting into tiling. I've struggled to find regular...
Replies
Views
rich83
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB