UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss life expectancy of tiles on a floating/chipboard floor?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ceramico tiling

Hi all

I recently did a job that is doomed to fail,and would like to see how long you guys give it till it fails.
I advised the contractor in detail how completely wrong it was but they did not want to hear it and I needed the work so I did it anyway.

Basically its ceramic tiles 30x30 on a (moisture resistant)chipboard floor.Which is floating on 75mm of insulation.

Used basic flex rapid from Tops.Bal grout PVA for priming

I recon the grout will be gone in a month and the tiles will come up within a year.

Am I wrong?

P

peckers

You needed the money, but did you outway the cost off having to replace it when it fails, after all you did the job and that is all the contractor will have to say on the matter, except that when it does fail he will say"I contracted in a tiler to do the job and he done it" and in the eyes off the home owner and the law, you were the tiler and you should have known better!
Besides that it is your name that every one will be talking about as bad installs go round like wild fire:thumbsdown:

C

Ceramico tiling

Its one of the larger construction companies and they are doing this to a small block of newbuid flats..I am not the only tiler onsite.My concerns were raised to the engineer on site(chief or whatever he was) he made a few calls and the "big boss",said this set-up had been done to his home and had been down for 7 years. I cant see them holding me responsible.
I know its wrong but its better than not paying the morgage.

P

Perry

Its one of the larger construction companies and they are doing this to a small block of newbuid flats..I am not the only tiler onsite.My concerns were raised to the engineer on site(chief or whatever he was) he made a few calls and the "big boss",said this set-up had been done to his home and had been down for 7 years. I cant see them holding me responsible.
I know its wrong but its better than not paying the morgage.
I can understand why you have done it most of the big builders know best and we all have to eat

M

MTiler

Even if the mortgage needs paying I dont think Its worth risking doing a job like that. Im in the same situation at the mo and I went to see a job last week. The customer didnt want to pay much and asked if I could better another quote. If it was a straight forward job I might have been tempted to get some money in but the deal breaker for me was the prep the customer had attempted, all totally wrong. Not worth it.

B

Bolter

I subcontract, and went to a job the other day. The ladies bathroom floor had 15mm ply laid on it, but the plumber cut a large square out (maybe 1m x 1m) and refixed it with a few screws. The second I walked in the room, I could hear movement. I told the lady about it, and she was very worried. Was talking about putting lino down instead or something like that.

I was happy with that as we were not being paid for any preparation work, and I was instructed to not do any as it should have been done prior to us arriving. This tells me the guy running the job is doing it as cheap as possible.

So anyway, I start tiling the walls, and the lady comes upstairs with the contractor, and he says to me "Im on holiday on sunday for 3 weeks, if the floor isnt tiled, they wont have a toilet for 3 weeks." so I told him what needed doing to stiffen the floor substrate, and he cut me short like I was boring him, and told me "am I not using the special orange matting?" to which I replied that I would be, but its not magic and this floor in its current state would reject its tiles in under a few days. He then came at me like he was spelling things out really simple and basically told me to "get it done", to which I asked him to sign this cover note with the home owner detailing my concerns and leaving me not liable to any comebacks. Neither would sign, I walked.

Nobody ever signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to life expectancy of tiles on a floating/chipboard floor?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm doing a small bathroom renovation for someone and the walls and floor are failing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.