Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Lightweight Foam Tile backer boards. Long thread titles are a wonderful thing. in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

W

Waluigi

Following on from the thread I posted yesterday about these foam boards, it got me thinking about the installation of these boards.

I was quite surprised to find out that some companies recommend purely screwing these boards down when overboarding a suspended timber floor. No adhesive.

I contacted a few companies this morning via email. I got some ambiguous replies from some companies. Marmox suggested that you either screw the boards down with no adhesive or you glue the boards down with no screws. The glue method acts as a decoupling layer but if you then mechanically fix the boards then this stops the decoupling. Interesting.

Wedi were very good and sent me the BBA certificate as a PDF. Had a quick look and they suggest glue, screw and tape as you’d expect.

Some manufacturers are specific and say that you should never screw into T&G floorboards.

I obviously I have my own way of installing these boards and I tend to glue and screw as it’s logical to me but I hadn’t considered the decoupling issue. I suppose it’s a good idea to follow the specific guidelines for the board you’re fitting but would anyone purely screw these boards down with no adhesive?

F

Flintstone

I did some tiling when the local tile shop moved premises and there was a mezanine floor with chipboard flooring fitted and this needed to be tiled but needed to be semi permanent due to the building being rented, i was told to scew the 6mm delta boards down, no adhesive and no tape. Tiled with 800x800 porcelain about 8mm thick and it's still perfect now probably 2 year on.

I glue screw and tape tho on all my jobs, why wouldn't you!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Lightweight Foam Tile backer boards. Long thread titles are a wonderful thing. in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB