Discuss Limestone staircase. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I saw a limestone staircase today. The customer wants all the joints made invisible (see attachment). The gaps are between the treads & risers, and between the outer/inner strings and treads. We are only talking about gaps of about 1mm, but they are quite visible. I was thinking of using a limestone wall grout and a grout gun, but have since gone off the idea of the gun. I think the grout and a finger should do the trick! However, the outer & inner strings are made of wood (which is painted). Do you think the flex grout would be flexible enough? or do you think I should be applying a very small bead of transparent silicone? Also, the treads need to be chamfered (as they have quite a sharp cut edge). Could I use wet & dry sandpaper or would a mechanical method be more appropriate? Cheers Sean
limestone.jpg

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Straw Akimi and limestone dust would be the way Id go.

Lynn

First time i used that ,made me feel quite ill,now i just smile when people come close to me when im doing repairs.Asdas staff in Burgh Heath walked out the first night i was using it...night manager not happy.Second night he said i couldnt work.Third night,only done 1 hour.Still got paid for 3 full shifts.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Straw Akimi and limestone dust would be the way Id go.

Lynn
Kept getting results for Akimi Village computer game! Until I changed the i to an e to make Akemi !! Because of the wood in the construction of these stairs I will have to opt for the limestone coloured silicone. Just hope the silicone matches the colour of the limestone!

One quick question............would you seal before siliconing.............or is it the other way round?

M

Marble Life Ltd

That looks like Jura or Massongi I can't quite tell from the picture. You need Klindex Stukko Tixo Knife Grade Resin. It is 5 x easier to use than Akemi and has 3 x less odour. You fill the main gap with Paglierino coloured if necessary accordingly using 3mm window wedge spacers or you might get away with tile spacers to the wood then resin then finally fill the 3mm gaps with dab of appropriate coloured Mapei silicone.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

That looks like Jura or Massongi I can't quite tell from the picture. You need Klindex Stukko Tixo Knife Grade Resin. It is 5 x easier to use than Akemi and has 3 x less odour. You fill the main gap with Paglierino coloured if necessary accordingly using 3mm window wedge spacers or you might get away with tile spacers to the wood then resin then finally fill the 3mm gaps with dab of appropriate coloured Mapei silicone.

Kevin
have used the new akemi range Kev ? I was very very impressed with it when I saw it at the stone show and the guys at Apex Grange really rate it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Limestone staircase. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
Hi tiler has used micro joint infill in few places to reduce stress (decoupling matting also...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
Limestone staircase.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.