Discuss Limestone Tiles - Laying Tips (am I Mad?) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TCS

I've just bought 85m2 of these Limestone Tiles
farley-seasoned.jpg

The sub-base consists of a wet UFH system, covered by Keracem Eco screed. Commisioned and has been running since Nov 2014, so nice and dry.

I've laid tiles before, but nothing remotely on this scale, nor any tiles so large. The pattern is random lengths (900/600/400 @ 560mm wide and 20mm thick).

There is 75m2 overall, but split into different areas, with movement joints (and doors) splitting the areas up. (i.e. kitchen area is the first area to undertake which is just 25m2 in total).

From my initial research, I've discovered the following:

1 - I need to use white flexible adhesive. It seems to make sense that I use Kerakoll Tenaflex, as this was recommended by both the tile supplier (Ca Pietra) and screeders (Keracem).
2 - Trowel size required, I'm thinking 12 or 15mm?
3 - Install a movement matt between the screed and the tile - Ditra or Dural - the latter seems to be somewhat cheaper than the former - are there any pro's/con's from either?
4 - Movement joints in the screed must mirror in the floor tiles
5 - We'd like wide grout joints (like the photo above) - are there "spaces" out there that can achieve a wide joint or do I just do it all by chalk line?

None of my walls are parallel or square, but that is nothing new.

Can anyone give me any tips? Or is it a "get a Pro" in only. I'm far from new to DIY, so would like to give it a go myself, but can understand why people would advise otherwise.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated - I'm hoping to get started in the next week or two.

I'm also based in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire if anyone in the area would like to quote for the job (pm me etc).

Cheers!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
That's Bastille limestone and a very hard tile..... You space them by eye as the edges are uneven .

Solid bedding as per the norm but make sure you work clean and seal before grouting once clean and dry , the brushed surface can grab grout ...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Same stuff I think, jasmine grout
image.jpg
As Dave said, solid bed plus back butter the tile.
lay ditra or tile master have one which is very good, easy to cut and only .85 of a mm thick .
Personally I'd use standard set white if your a novice, cut in as you go along,don't leave until last, as they will be different size widths/lengths .
Sort thick to thin, as again they will vary , use thickest 1st.
A must is sealing before grouting, even then , with them being rough tiles I have a lad behind me sponging off excess around the joint , not over the joint, just gently around .

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
A good grade Bastille should be +\- 2mm , that won't be noticeable on this type of tile as the joints will range from 5mm edges to 20mm etc on the corners.. If the backs are sawn finish then deffo double bed if flat finish then back skimming as Craig says is a must anyway...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Same stuff I think, jasmine grout View attachment 73738 As Dave said, solid bed plus back butter the tile.
lay ditra or tile master have one which is very good, easy to cut and only .85 of a mm thick .
Personally I'd use standard set white if your a novice, cut in as you go along,don't leave until last, as they will be different size widths/lengths .
Sort thick to thin, as again they will vary , use thickest 1st.
A must is sealing before grouting, even then , with them being rough tiles I have a lad behind me sponging off excess around the joint , not over the joint, just gently around .

Yep , that's Bastille...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
It's BS5385-4 ... And it doesn't say a membrane must be used but it states it helps eliminate stresses associated with green screeds etc that are not fully cured .

I'm sure there is a TTA technical document being prepared about the use of membranes , as of yet there is no BS covering them.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It's BS5385-4 ... And it doesn't say a membrane must be used but it states it helps eliminate stresses associated with green screeds etc that are not fully cured .

I'm sure there is a TTA technical document being prepared about the use of membranes , as of yet there is no BS covering them.

That's it Dave. You are quite right it doesn't specify how uncoupling should be achieved but it must be acknowledged that a simple membrane is probably the easiest modern method. We used to use sand in the old days...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
That's it Dave. You are quite right it doesn't specify how uncoupling should be achieved but it must be acknowledged that a simple membrane is probably the easiest modern method. We used to use sand in the old days...

It's coming Alan , it's been in the pipeline of BS updates for a while now... :)

Did you attend the seminar by the TTA on tiling to calcium sulphate screeds by Colin Stanyard.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It's coming Alan , it's been in the pipeline of BS updates for a while now... :)

Did you attend the seminar by the TTA on tiling to calcium sulphate screeds by Colin Stanyard.

No but i doubt I missed very much.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

I was assuming to be fair. But only based on the fact that such a membrane has only been around a decade and the regs don't get updated as fast as the industry changes.

And to be honest, adhesive manufacturers didn't have their own until recently so the regs would have been recommended one or two brands only. And I couldn't see that washing.

Adhesive firms obviously make their materials to cope with such stresses. End of.

Nothing actually requires such a membrane. Nothing at all.

When you use one; you're avoiding redeveloping a floor. That's what they're really for I guess. A new floor shouldn't need one all.

Reply to Limestone Tiles - Laying Tips (am I Mad?) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m in a bit of a pickle. I hired a tiler to do our tiling and initially he told us...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Advice would be appreciated on whether I should use some sort of levelling compound to...
Replies
Views
Hello! I’m hoping I can get some advice on what to do in my kitchen RE wanting to replace the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB