UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss liquid membranes & adhesion in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Depends on the adhesive. Normally I would expect either a smoothing compound to be placed over the dpm prior to coverings or use a sand broadcast into the second coat of the dpm to provide a rough textured finish for the adhesive to key to.

Liquid membranes are not designed to carry weight as such and are generally only 600microns thick anyway. Any weight on top will be transferred directly to the subfloor. The weight carrying capacity of the dpm itself is negligible.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
thanks for your reply

I was referring to a tanking membrane on the walls not floor and concerned about it peeling away similar to the way pva might

Ah sorry I misunderstood. In that case being a floors kind of guy I am unable to answer your questions. However I am sure someone will be along to do so shortly.

D

DHTiling

I had this conversation with Mapei... after it was mentioned on here that using a liquid tanking would reduce the substrate capacity by around 10kg per sqr mtr.. or summit like that..

I discussed this and after a call to tech , it was said that NO it does not reduce it and if it did it was negligible..

Also for reference to others who use tanking membranes, they also do not reduce the capacity..

J

JFRWhipple

I've seen liquid membranes peel away from the backer boards when those backer boards where not first cleaned of dust and bond breakers. I have also noticed that liquid membranes peel away easier if only rolled and not brushed on the first coat. As a rule we clean the backer board first and tape all our backer boards with thinset and mesh tape. The next day we give the walls a clean and use a brush to burn the material into the pores of the backer board. On the first coat we treat the first pass as a primer and hit it again with a coat. Then a second coat the next day.

I have removed tiles with Aqua Defence from Mapei with no bond failure from the liquid and have inspected other setters work where I could peel away sheets of it. Like any tile failure I'm sure the number one reason for liquid membrane failure would be bond breakers.

JW

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to liquid membranes & adhesion in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've just had the whole ground floor of a house we are working on levelled with a pump in liquid...
Replies
Views
Bishbbashbosh
B
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.