UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss lock boy (Loch Boy) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Re: lock boy

just wondering how many of you still use a lock boy for your getting a hole in tiles for pipes...ie...shower?

Dave or Grumps could you set this up as a poll please...you know me Russ i dont know how....ke:lol:

Neither do I Bri!

I have discovered that if it is a new thread, you can make it a poll by ticking a box at the bottom of the screen when you create the thread. Don't know how to convert it though, maybe have to wait for Dave on this one!

Grumps

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rob hutchinson

Used one this week to cut 6 holes out of really thick marble tiles, the holes were all really close together. did the job no probs. They still have there uses, unlike drills they don't wear out. With a little practice you can put a hole through a tile in about a minute. I'm not saying they are better than drills as I use a variety of drill bits for different types of tiles. What I am suggesting is that you don't have to spend a fortune on fancy tools if you know what what you are doing. A good tiler usually keeps their tools for years if they are looked after properly. :thumbsup:

T

TilingLogistics

Used one this week to cut 6 holes out of really thick marble tiles, the holes were all really close together. did the job no probs. They still have there uses, unlike drills they don't wear out. With a little practice you can put a hole through a tile in about a minute. I'm not saying they are better than drills as I use a variety of drill bits for different types of tiles. What I am suggesting is that you don't have to spend a fortune on fancy tools if you know what what you are doing. A good tiler usually keeps their tools for years if they are looked after properly. :thumbsup:

I'll give that a try then. I had no idea they would put a hole in Marble! Thanks:thumbsup:

Kev

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Don't tighten the clamp too tight or to slack, you want it enough so that when you tap the centre of the hole inside the clamp with the correct hammer, you won't be able to feel the vibration on the other side of the tile.

You want to start off with very very light taps right in the centre of the hole in the same place, on ceramics or porcelain-glazed tiles you'll start to break through the surface in time, on marble you'll start to see a small indentation pretty quickly.

Once you've started to chip away, keep tapping lightly in the centre, make the indentation bigger. As you get deeper you can hammer around the small indentation, but don't go near the edge of the hole in the clamp until you have worked your way right through the thickness of the tile in the centre.

Once you've created a small enough hole to see light through, you can start to move away from the centre towards the edge of the clamp hole.

The aim is to chip away and not actuall hammer the tile. So you're just using the point on the hammer tip to gouge a hole into the tile. You can neaten it up afterwards with the hammer around the edge, but some prefer using your tile nippers at that stage to creat square holes or large neat round holes.

Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

M

Mike

Don't tighten the clamp too tight or to slack, you want it enough so that when you tap the centre of the hole inside the clamp with the correct hammer, you won't be able to feel the vibration on the other side of the tile.

You want to start off with very very light taps right in the centre of the hole in the same place, on ceramics or porcelain-glazed tiles you'll start to break through the surface in time, on marble you'll start to see a small indentation pretty quickly.

Once you've started to chip away, keep tapping lightly in the centre, make the indentation bigger. As you get deeper you can hammer around the small indentation, but don't go near the edge of the hole in the clamp until you have worked your way right through the thickness of the tile in the centre.

Once you've created a small enough hole to see light through, you can start to move away from the centre towards the edge of the clamp hole.

The aim is to chip away and not actuall hammer the tile. So you're just using the point on the hammer tip to gouge a hole into the tile. You can neaten it up afterwards with the hammer around the edge, but some prefer using your tile nippers at that stage to creat square holes or large neat round holes.

Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
thanks for that, not tiling till monday so ill let you know next week

Reply to lock boy (Loch Boy) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Dear Tilers, my husband has done a lot of tiling, but would really like your advice please. He...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.