Discuss Long job or short job ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

My average job is a week or two long then onto the next one. But currently I’ve been on the same job for about 8 weeks, with a few days off in there but not much. Starting to feel the repetition now, feeling tired, nothing to break the day up, same sort of work each day, even tho it’s a nice job! Do you feel like this, do you like to be in one place for weeks on end or keep moving on ?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I love the longer jobs - to be on a swimming pool for 4-5 weeks means no estimates, no picking up materials, just go to work . And of course it also allows all new work to be much better priced because you don’t need it straight away.
Why no estimates....?
Surely you need to keep the work rolling in...

I

Italy

I love the longer jobs - to be on a swimming pool for 4-5 weeks means no estimates, no picking up materials, just go to work . And of course it also allows all new work to be much better priced because you don’t need it straight away.
same same
I do not want to agree with John ...
but this time I have to agree.
images

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Surely you mean tiling a full bathroom, unless you're one of them multitrader types...
I work with a plumber....
Day 1...rip out and prep
Day 2...sit on arse and watch plumber fit bath, after laughing at him getting it upstairs by himself..
Day 3/4/5..... Plumber buggers off and leaves me to tile.....:)
Following week plumbers back in to drill holes in the wrong place and wreck my tiling and second fit his stuff...
Job done...!!

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

Why no estimates....?
Surely you need to keep the work rolling in...

If I’am recommended I go to every job out of courtesy.
But when cold call people want it done within a short timescale then I’am not wasting my time when they won’t wait. Despite all the ‘mid next year, booked up till 2019’ posts, even after 44 years I’am rarely booked solid further than a month! I like to be able to fit the regular clients in at short notice and fortunately the type of work I enjoy they are prepared to wait that little bit.
I think @Andy Allen thats why I don’t do splash backs , too competitively priced and too much work for the return.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
But when cold call people want it done within a short timescale then I’am not wasting my time when they won’t wait. Despite all the ‘mid next year, booked up till 2019’ posts, even after 44 years I’am rarely booked solid further than a month! I like to be able to fit the regular clients in at short notice and fortunately the type of work I enjoy they are prepared to wait that little bit.
I think @Andy Allen thats why I don’t do splash backs , too competitively priced and too much work for the return.
And I thought it was just because you were a 'tile snob'....... :)

I love the one day jobs..... Tiled by lunch, hour to grout, back home having a nap by 3....:)

I

Italy

to your health

images (1).jpeg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Long job or short job ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB