Discuss Look what santa brought me! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Started a new project this week, and found that this floor was about to be buried!!

After speaking with the client, he was actually very happy someone was going to give it a good home!
Problem being, the new screed is going down before Christmas and this floor measures 9.9m2! I'm going to have to remove it in next few days! So any any sensible ideas on how I can achieve this would be truly welcomed!
And would it be sensible to try and give it, it's first clean as a whole piece first before removal?
And if anyone has restored anything like this before, I'd truly like any ideas on the best way to achieve it please.
I do have one or two ideas of my own but don't really think I have time to mess about!
Thanks guys.
ooops! Maybe wrong forum!

O

Old Mod

Have you tried removing any ? it looks in good condition and stuck well?
Amazing condition! One small 100 x 100 mm patch of damage only!
stuck well? very well.
tried taking up a few of the outside fillers up first. Theory being if I work from the outside in I'll stand a better chance of less damage. My worry is that they are so tightly packed they will chip the surface of adjoining Tile.

O

Old Mod

You can only try. Usually releasing tension on the floor by removing a small area loosens the rest of the floor but that doesnt always work. Failing that I would try taking up some of the screed with the tiles and clean off later. This is of course depending how long it all takes and if its actually worth it?
it's a beautiful floor, it would be sacrilege to see it buried under a screed! And besides I live in south west London, A 10 m² Victorian floor is worth a fortune. Haha
i'm happy to allow myself a two year time frame to restore it completely.
Any idea how I would source the company that is currently restoring the main entrance floor in the Houses of Parliament?
thanks for taking an interest.

O

Old Mod

What a waste of a beautiful floor.
Hope you get it up without too much damage.
thank you Stef, I actually started today. It hasn't been too bad.
Main prob is chipping cos they're butt jointed. I reckon I should salvage at least 7-8m2. There's been a few breakages but I think well within acceptable limits. Just got off phone with Phill Hobson about it actually. What a nice chap!
This what I achieved before 1.30 this afternoon. That's the noise cut off time in my area.

J

jonnyc

i think you were trying to pm me about this but the only message was
look what santa brought me !!
i thought it wasa joke with you as santa sky diving with presents!!
you forgot to add the info about the floor.
anyway best of luck and im sure will have given you some good info.
i would have given it a good scrub with various cleaners before removal as easy to use scrub machine on the whole flat floor.

J

jonnyc

you mentiones sacriledge by not saving the floor .
here is apic of a floor i laid only 3 months ago and not even applied final wax.
client decided it was too good for the utility so had a ploish guy dig it up and replacing witha a very expensive not that nice paris ceramic stone instead.
my floor had been down for 200 years in gendarmerie ( police station ) in france before being reclaimed and shipped to uk.originally laid in lime /sand so easy to reclaim. i laid in flex fast set and whole floor gione in the skip. 15sq mt utility floor will have cost the client 15kk in the end .
whata waste

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 008.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 64
O

Old Mod

here is apic of a floor i laid only 3 months ago and not even applied final wax.
client decided it was too good for the utility so had a ploish guy dig it up and replacing witha a very expensive not that nice paris ceramic stone instead.
my floor had been down for 200 years in gendarmerie ( police station ) in france before being reclaimed and shipped to uk.originally laid in lime /sand so easy to reclaim. i laid in flex fast set and whole floor gione in the skip. 15sq mt utility floor will have cost the client 15kk in the end .
whata waste
that's an amazing floor and opportunity u've had there, well done m8,kool!
Haha sorry bout PM John, I did send amended meets to all I sent it too, but erm.... Obviously not to u! Haha sorry
yeah I make u absolutely right bout cleaning I know! Damn thing is I can't make noise today so I swapped my working day today and took my personal day yday because I'm off site mon and tues but back wed. And the builder feels he's gonna screed end of this week! I've so little time to actually get it up! (THE FLOOR! Mind u I don't have much time to get anything up these days!! Hahaha) so I had to plough on. But I have a little more info now which may help and I'm still waiting for contact withPhill's lead.
Thanks John.

Q

Qwerty

whata waste

My god jonny, I loved that floor when you posted it months ago. Just shows some people have no clue. Unbelievable!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Look what santa brought me! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB