Discuss Looking for advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

I've got a bathroom to do for a repeat customer in an old house. The first floor is a lime ash sreed over reed, it's out of level and weight is an issue. The client wants the floor tiling, would dirtra or something else be suitable for the floor? As the floor bounces a little. Any recommendations

Russ

I take you mean a screed over reed, the only reeds I know of are on walls....

R

Russell brown

I take you mean a screed over reed, the only reeds I know of are on walls....

yes a screed over reed. Basically the floor joist downstairs are exposed with no void between them and the floor. Reeds were laid over the joists and a lime and ash screed laid on top and a lime plaster underneath between the joists. Hopefully someone can tell me if it's possible.

thanks Russ

R

Russell brown

I've been on the phone all day with various technical departments, Webber don't make anything suitable to use straight onto a lime substrate. Mapie are getting back to me, ardex reckon arditex NA will be suitable if primed with p51 primer and dural say the there matting will work as long as there's no more than 5mm deflection in the centre of a 3m straight edge when held against the floor. I haven't got all the information I'm happy with and im still not sure wether it's worth doing, but I'll continue to look into it as a learning curve as I've seen a few of these floors around here.
thanks for everyone's input so far it's all being taken on board.
Russ

S

Spare Tool

Not really thread related but as Dave pointed out lime screed and render are meant to breath, as a point my local church had some builder re point one side of the church and they raked out all the lime and used sand and cement, after only 2 years the internal plaster is now falling off the walls on the side they repointed yet the side that was left in lime is fine..point is...leave well alone ;)

R

Russell brown

Not really thread related but as Dave pointed out lime screed and render are meant to breath, as a point my local church had some builder re point one side of the church and they raked out all the lime and used sand and cement, after only 2 years the internal plaster is now falling off the walls on the side they repointed yet the side that was left in lime is fine..point is...leave well alone ;)

If It was on a wall I'd agree but it's the floor and as far as I can gather the lime screed was to allow for movement. I've by far made any decisions I'm just trying to get all the relevant information to go back to the customer. Believe it or not for once Google is not my friend because there's sod all information one way or the other. I haven't gotten round to speaking with schluter but dural are confident that they matting is up to the job if a can find and slc suitable to use on lime. After that they said any flexible adhesive is ok. I just need to know if there's such a thing, plus cost will be a factor. As long as I can go back to the customer with the correct advice I'll be happy, don't want someone else jumping in saying it's fine to tile if it's not.

again thanks for everyone input it really is helping

Russ

S

Stocks Tiles

So as it is that you've now already wasted a day trying to contact companies to ask the question, I imagine it's a small area and that it's now not going to really be a profitable job even if you done it? Customers are lovely, till something goes wrong and then you never advised them and knew nothing of any risks with something not working and spread a bad name about you. It really isn't worth the money or hassle for me personally, walk away crack on with other work and keep a clean name.

If not - Good luck!

R

Russell brown

image.jpg I've already done a downstairs toilet so I'm confident of getting the other two bathrooms, just need to cover all corners.

S

Swin

Good luck,I can't imagine you'll have any joy from suppliers,I have a job in October with same issue,the architect has specified many things,in keeping with 'old ways' but negats the fact it's not practical
i passed it back too him too specify which product exactly I'm too use and confirm in writing he takes responsibility,suprisingly he at first said that's fine .....but several weeks later he's struggling too confirm the materials too be used

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Looking for advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
M
Hi all. I have recently been to look at a floor tiling job, where somebody has fitted a...
Replies
Views
mbcmultitrade
M
C
Will try to keep this as short as possible.... Had a very heated discussion with a customer the...
Replies
Views
charlie1
C

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB