UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss looks like bq are getting ready to take on tops in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

went in to bq today looks like they are half way thought up grading the tile section with a 900 tile cutter at£74 wet saw at £89 making tiling look more and more diy. looking at the sticy that should be very confusing for the novice not to mension the seals and cleaners there may be trouble ahead galore who going to tell the public what to use :oops: heres some picks just cant to seem to load pictures it always goes crazy

DSC04156.jpg DSC04157.jpg DSC04153.jpg DSC04154.jpg DSC04154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perfect Tiling

I'm often in our local b & q and am amazed at what I see some people with on their trolleys. Often see folk with a load of porcelain tiles and tubs of ready mixed addy...sometimes its for the floor. Sometimes I feel nice and try to tell them what they need but I've been told to get lost before....usually its a "I know the best way husband". People spend a lot of money on their home...b & q should be ensuring that they buy the right stuff...maybe not at their prices mind...

I was in there when they had the extra 20% off trade and asked there tiling "expert" if they they had any tanking kits and he didn't know what i was on about he even phoned someone to find out what they were for i was amazed. as perfect tiling said I've tried advising people before in front of there staff and they dont like it, I even got into an argument with one after telling a couple to go elswere because of the prices.

B

bugs183

Let them sell their junk (apart from the Mapei based gear).
Your average Joe doesn't like tiling, so if they buy rubbish from B&Q they'll like it even less, and will have to get a real tiler in.
Plus if they are prepared to pay as little as possible and shop at B&Q then i don't want that kind of customer.
As said above they think they are getting it cheap, but they pay through the nose anyway.
I've looked at people buying meters and meters of huge porcelain tiles with only a bag or two of cement and i want to say something, but let them get on with. Makes our work look a million times better.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
This seems very much case of let the buyer beware. I wonder how stores like b and q ( other DIY sheds are available) get round the requirement for due diligence an duty of care. If for example a DIY tiler asked the expert tiler in store for the best adhesive to stick those 600x600 porcs on to the bathroom wall and he was given tubbed addy.if the tiles fell off whilst someone were in the bath and did them serious injury how do b and q (other sheds are available) deal with it. After all it is their advice that has led to the disaster..... Or is it?

T

tom1976

Gives me the fear this business of my 200x300 tiles falling of the walls onto my kids. they are porcelean ?-as in fired with a glaze on one side. i used mapei DT2(?) pre mxed addy. i know pre mixes get slated but just figured it would be ok as its mapei...? i used the single tub tanking kit from mapei also. the mapei gum stuck really well and felt like a great key. . am i really supposed to be expecting the the tiles tonfall off as per a post in this thread?

S

Stef

Gives me the fear this business of my 200x300 tiles falling of the walls onto my kids. they are porcelean ?-as in fired with a glaze on one side. i used mapei DT2(?) pre mxed addy. i know pre mixes get slated but just figured it would be ok as its mapei...? i used the single tub tanking kit from mapei also. the mapei gum stuck really well and felt like a great key. . am i really supposed to be expecting the the tiles tonfall off as per a post in this thread?

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but those tiles "NEED" to come off before they fall off.

What you have used is a dispersion adhesive & a porcelain tile wont take any of the moisture from your adhesive.

You have also used a tanking kit so that will definitely not take in moisture.

Dispersion adhesive needs somewhere for the moisture to go you should have been using powder adhesive as that will cure under a chemical reaction.

Good Luck.

T

tom1976

just a small heart attack later.... googled diff between porcelean and ceramic tiles and it seems i do have ceramics. they also spent around 3 weeks drying (ungrouted) before being grouted. dt2 reads to sticks ceramics but you are all quite right that mapgumm reads to follow with cementitious addy..
i have just injured my hand trying to pull one tile off the wall. this is with good 3-4mm gap where wall kicked out at the bott under which i got my fingers....Am i right in thinking that whatever bond is evident now will not reverse.? the sickest of sick feelings alone are enough to make me wish i had not taken this on, though judging by the latter bearer of bad news "needs to disperse through tile, wall ,both or either" makes me think i might get away with it.....

S

Stef

Yeah but did you see the blond who had just tiled her own walk-in shower in lime green tiles? Looked really good so hats off to her, well done!

I said to the miss's about that john, it beggars belief that they state that "you also can do this".

Wish i could have knocked up a walk-in shower like that when i was learning this tiling trade caper. :lol:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I said to the miss's about that john, it beggars belief that they state that "you also can do this".

Wish i could have knocked up a walk-in shower like that when i was learning this tiling trade caper. :lol:

She did it one Saturday morning and then grouted in the afternoon!!! :lol:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
If any of you have a large B and Q, like the huge one we have here in Peterborough now. Spend an hour or two wandering round the "new" tile section with a pocket full of your business cards.

I've done this one a few occassions. accidentally over-hear a few conversations, even ones where B and Q's highly trained staff are offering advice, then.....

Butt in, apologise, offer the correct advice and hand over a business card. I've picked up a few jobs loytering around B and Q.

M

Marksmithtiling

If any of you have a large B and Q, like the huge one we have here in Peterborough now. Spend an hour or two wandering round the "new" tile section with a pocket full of your business cards.

I've done this one a few occassions. accidentally over-hear a few conversations, even ones where B and Q's highly trained staff are offering advice, then.....

Butt in, apologise, offer the correct advice and hand over a business card. I've picked up a few jobs loytering around B and Q.

I make sure i wear one of my T shirts with my phone number and business name on whenever i go in, amazing how many people ask me things......has lead to a few jobs.I have B&Q Wickes and homebase within 5 mins of me ...passes the time wandering around !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to looks like bq are getting ready to take on tops in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.