Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Makita 12v Cordless Wet Cutter:Any Good? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi all, for ages now I've been looking for a lightweight, versatile and efficient wet tile saw. Has anyone tried the 12v Makita cordless, and what did you think of it? I won't be doing a huge amount of cuts with it but I will need it to do the job, i.e. it must be capable of cutting cleanly and accurately through the dreaded porcelain. The tiles are 300X600X8mm. Cheers guys, grateful for any feedback. Simon.

T

TilingLogistics

The great thing with them is they are quick and portable and a damn side easier to get out the van than a table cutter. The down side is the battery runs out quick and you only get one with it and you have to be very careful with the blade. By far the better cutter is the Makita 4101RH which is a hand held wet cutter but then you are moving into the £300 bracket for one so I would probably go with Daves advice and get a table saw :thumbsup:

Kev

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone for the advice. Dave, as to why that model, simply because I already own a Makita cordless with batts & charger which, I am assured, will run the little tile cutter, so I'd save nearly a ton on the list price. Also, with tiles getting bigger and bigger - let's face it, soon we'll be tiling a whole bathroom with just four giant tiles! -the design of the one I posted about means not having to worry about tile size. Further, I've been disappointed with big hire machines (although I suspect maybe the hire people were just milking the blades for the last mm of cut); they tend to flood the whole area and most of them would cripple me if I tried to lift them in and out the van. The DeWalt model looks promising but it's about £700 (the amount of tiling jobs I do I could never justify it, and I've no idea if it's even any good) and, finally, the little table saws I've tried were pants, especially the plasplugs model. That little Makita looked like the answer to my prayers but it seems you guys disagree. CJ, TilingLogistics, is there any particular make/model you'd recommend? Tiler Burden and Whitebeam, thanks for responding. Grateful for all replies.
Regards all, Simon.

D

DHTiling

hi simon....please sign up..gets you more answers that way..plus it's better to know who we are talking to....( without you saying so)....

As for cutter then i think the makita would be good for occasional cuts but i don't think it will have the power to cut large tiles......you can get a good quality wetcutter for about £200 ish maybe a lot lower...put a decent quality porcelain blade in and it will last you years......

good luck and let us know which way you go....:thumbsup:

H

Highlander

I have one................can't remember the last time I used it. sell it

It kills ya batteries not really but handy to have a spare

Its only good on cheap ceramics disagree totally

The blades are chuffing dear yes if you are rough it will eat blades

Waste of money really. nope

Wish I had got a small cheap (kitchen sized, 4"x4") wet cutter instead

Got to disagree with you here mate think your one is a dud as I use mine all the time and it will cut anything great fro plunge cutting sockets also toilet waste pipes. I have cut marble, slate, granite, porc, ceramics and glass no problems. It is one of the best bits of kit I have in tool box.

Yes the blades are dear but if you take your time and are not rough with them they last for ages. As for battery life yes it can eat the battery depending on the material your cutting but I can get complete splash back out of one charge and still have life in battery. I normally have spare on charge if I need it.

So I would recommend anyone to get one most of the guys I know once they have seen me using one on a site go out and buy one. Brill for site work where power is limited. All you need is a bucket to cut over and away you go.

Am using it one a site just now have completed 4 batrooms and ensuites in porcelain. Job before was travertine and used it for that as well.

:thumbsup:

Highlander

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
You had me going there for a bit highlander, was gonna say there is no way one of these makitas is a substitute for a table cutter, the odd little cut yes, no way can you cut granite, marble lenght after leght with one of these, i used mine for the same purpose, the odd small cut to reduce the curve so as to get your nippers snapping, good for plunge cuts but so is the table saw, only benefit is small jobs on site in my opinion where you cannot get the big gear going

Reply to Makita 12v Cordless Wet Cutter:Any Good? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Looking for recommendations for the Job I’m doing in a fortnight as theyve just told me the...
Replies
Views
Can anybody recommend a cutter that will produce very good edge cuts on 10mm very hard porcelain...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend me a decent tile cutter for around 150£. I have 2 large sigmas but need a...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
Morning chaps! I have been lurking on here for a while now, gathering bits of information and...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
S
Hi guys, I have some 305x305 marble tiles I need to cut into 10mm strips. I have a very basic...
Replies
Views
Sporty
S

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Makita 12v Cordless Wet Cutter:Any Good?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • BAL

Votes: 25 29.4%