Guest viewing is limited

Discuss manhole cover in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

i have a floor to tile which is concrete but has a three foot square manhole cover in centre, it allows you to tile up to the cover but the cover itself then drops down two inches, should i screw ply to the metal cover to raise the level and then tile the cover so as to keep the tiles all the same level??,

not sure if screws will go through the metal cover also??

This is an old thread, if you ever come across a floor where the manhole is lower than the concrete you just raise the frame itself up to the height of the finished tiles. Fit the tiles around the manhole first so that you can check for levels all around, bring the frame up to level with sand/cement and allow to dry before tiling the cover itself. Always make sure that the seal on the bottom of the cover is in place to stop odours.
Then fill and tile as Dave has said.

:thumbsup:

Are the manhole lid edges set to the correct height for tiling around the outside?
If so then simply fill with modified sand and cement - 3 to 1 mix with SBR added.
Tamp it down till just the thickness of the tile is rebated then butter the backs of the ready cut tiles with a cement/water/SBR slurry mix and knock down into sand and cement screed.:thumbsup:

W

White Room

Are the manhole lid edges set to the correct height for tiling around the outside?
If so then simply fill with modified sand and cement - 3 to 1 mix with SBR added.
Tamp it down till just the thickness of the tile is rebated then butter the backs of the ready cut tiles with a cement/water/SBR slurry mix and knock down into sand and cement screed.:thumbsup:

Same as:thumbsup:

B

Bullfitz

HI all, I have tiled a manhole cover, unfortuntely the builders have only left me a bout 10mm to play with, but the customer wanted 600x600 polished porcelaine with 6mm marmox insulation and warmup underfloor heating underneath, I tiled it anyway and it looks ok, the only thing is that the joint between the tiles on the cover and those on the rest of the floor is a bit big and unsightly, is there any insert eg metal that can fit into this joint? I was thinking silicone but it might not wear well.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

HI all, I have tiled a manhole cover, unfortuntely the builders have only left me a bout 10mm to play with, but the customer wanted 600x600 polished porcelaine with 6mm marmox insulation and warmup underfloor heating underneath, I tiled it anyway and it looks ok, the only thing is that the joint between the tiles on the cover and those on the rest of the floor is a bit big and unsightly, is there any insert eg metal that can fit into this joint? I was thinking silicone but it might not wear well.

A picture would help.

:thumbsup:

Reply to manhole cover in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
manhole cover
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.