UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Mapei Advise caulk or ptfe under their silicone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tom1976

Hi Folks,
Following a near disaster (using dispersant addy over Mapegum) I was not looking to repeat any mistakes so emailed and spoke with Mapei technical. Situation is two walls joining at 90 degrees, one over suspended floor, other masonry, hence need to use flexible joint, not just grout.

Looking into the gap between the walls 2-3mm you see mapegum over the mapei tape. I asked Mapei whether thier AC silicone would be ok in contact with their Mapegum. They kinda scoffed- why would their silicone be touching the mapegum in a wall joint?!!? I explained as above-wanting a flexible joint.

At this point he said to fill the gap with ptfe tape. Has anyone heard of this? He explained why, kind of, and also said that caulk could alternatively be used to largely fill the gap over which you can use the mapesil ac. I had visions of how many rolls of the plumbers white ptfe tape i'd need to fill all the vertical and horizontal gaps in the bathroom!!!

A little research lead me to 'backing rod'- a worm of spongy stuff that takes up voids and allows creation of the 'proper' silicone seal. That is one that is no deeper than half it's width and not stuck rigidly to more than two sides. More wizardry. it does make sense now- that the material can behave best when given a form and scale that allows it to work best...

What do you people do.... I'd imagined that gunning all silicone in there would work fine but now i am not sure at all..? Any thoughts?

B

bugs183

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mapei Advise caulk or ptfe under their silicone? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi - any advice would be gratefully received. The colour of the grout in my bathroom varies...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.