Discuss Mapei greys in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Ubudlulu

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on which grey grout to use. I have a 100mm x 100mm white tile laid brick pattern in my bathroom with a geometric black and white patterned floor tile. I'd like to use a dark enough grey to highlight the brick pattern without making the room too busy or something we'd get bored of quickly. My husband likes the Manhattan 110 but I think it looks like a dirty white and is playing it a bit too safe. I like the medium grey 112 but I'm worried it may make the bathroom look too hectic. I can't find any examples online or in the tile shops where both have been used. Does anyone have any pics of either grouts with white tiles or some advice on which to use. This decision is driving me nuts!

Q

Qwerty

Mapei Medium Grey on one of my jobs from last year.......

image.jpg

U

Ubudlulu

Been pushing greys in wet areas for 2-3 yrs now, it's a much better choice imo.
Main reason being if u go for a darker shade your wet area should stay looking new for many yrs with no grout discolouration.
As a bi product of that it makes my job easier :D
Same grout walls and floors and no grout bleed to worry about at wall and floor transitions!

View attachment 74867 View attachment 74868 View attachment 74869 View attachment 74870 View attachment 74871
They all look great. Do you know which colour you used in the first 2 photos?

O

Old Mod

They all look great. Do you know which colour you used in the first 2 photos?

I've been trying to think back all morning actually, and I can't I'm afraid.
All I can say is that I usually try to get what used to be known as just a basic grey grout. Seems they don't just call it grey grout anymore haha all got fancy names.
If u take a look at Geoffs Mapei colour sticks above they would most resemble 113-114 but I'd be swaying more towards 114
sorry, not a massive help I know.

U

Ubudlulu

I've been trying to think back all morning actually, and I can't I'm afraid.
All I can say is that I usually try to get what used to be known as just a basic grey grout. Seems they don't just call it grey grout anymore haha all got fancy names.
If u take a look at Geoffs Mapei colour sticks above they would most resemble 113-114 but I'd be swaying more towards 114
sorry, not a massive help I know.
I know, there are about 5 different shades...too much choice! I am trying to create the effect in the picture below. I can't decide between 113 or 114. When i zoom in on the picture it definitely looks lie they've used quite a dark grout. I prefer 144 but don't want it to look to busy or too black. I think the 113 is too safe though and not dramatic enough. What would you use? I've also included a pic of our
medium size round mirror in white tiles with black grout (1).png
unfinished bathroom.JPG
unfinished bathroom.

O

Old Mod

I am trying to create the effect in the picture below. I can't decide between 113 or 114. I prefer 144 but don't want it to look to busy or too black. I think the 113 is too safe though and not dramatic enough.

In that case if u were my customer I would make up a board and tile it with off cuts, then get 113&114, and I would divide it into 5 sections.
Then start with grouting
1st section with 113,
2nd with 114,
3rd 50/50 113-114,
4th 75% 113 + 25% 114 and finally section
5 25% 113 & 75% 114
and see what u'd like :)

U

Ubudlulu

In that case if u were my customer I would make up a board and tile it with off cuts, then get 113&114, and I would divide it into 5 sections.
Then start with grouting
1st section with 113,
2nd with 114,
3rd 50/50 113-114,
4th 75% 113 + 25% 114 and finally section
5 25% 113 & 75% 114
and see what u'd like :)
I've thought about doing that but it's an expensive way of doing it! Where are you based? We might need a new tiler.

O

Old Mod

I thought grey was grey and that was it. Light grey and dark grey at a push.

If only it were that simple again Dan, all too often now I have to come up with grout blends to give a client the effect they're after.
I think Ardex's Silver Shimmer and Dove Grey was the last blend I had to use! And there not a lot of difference between them to be honest, but client is king! :)

O

Old Mod

Christ, I'd only show them one. Mrs Jones, this is grey, this is white, this is charcoal. There's an ivory that's more of a cream you don't want that one. Which one would you like? :D :D :D :D

Oh don't get me wrong haha if I get half a chance, it's a simple colour
all day long!
Just when dealing with a percentage of clients you know it won't be that easy! :)
Mainly because I think clients in certain circles are simply more informed than others.
Especially if they happen to come within ear shot of an 'interior designer' but I must use that phrase very loosely haha cos everyone is a designer nowadays! :D
But it all adds to the challenge, and I rise to that each and every time, and that's what keeps me in demand. :rolleyes:
Well that's what I tell myself and every new potential client! Haha

S

Spare Tool

Made a mistake a few years ago by choosing someone's grout colour for them I went with mapie brown on there brown bathroom floor tiles, a few days later customer rang me up and says I'm just sitting on the loo and I don't like this grout you picked I want it changing, so that was an afternoon down the pan raking it out and regrouting, lesson learnt..

Just finished this kitchen today and customer actually asked for cream grout, which in the Webber is Jasmin, none in stock so went with limestone, customer never noticed, was very pleased and gave a nice tip..
WP_20150731_15_00_19_Pro.jpg

Reply to Mapei greys in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi after some advice . Just finished the shower cubicle , used a Mapei white grout and the grout...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB