UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Mapei keraquick ok for mosaic sheets? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

Mike, just out of interest why do you specify white for the mosaic?

Musivarius, I don't know what type of mosaic Dan has bought, but did caveat my response if glass or stone then use white (because if stone its most likely travertine which must be white).

If they were ceramic or porcelain mosaic then grey would be fine.

I have always been led to believe that glass mosaic tiles are just clear glass with a colour coating on the back which give the appearance of colour to the mosaic. I have also been led to believe that white adhesive has the lowest risk of adversely affecting that coloured coating, for example making it look darker, and so have always used white (and never had any problems).

I may be wrong and grey may be perfectly okay, but as the adhesives that are sold specifically for fixing mosaic, e.g. BAL Mosaic Fix are also only available in white, I figure there may be some truth to the fable.

I see you are a mosaic expert, gulp. Was my advice right, or wrong....??

Oh no, I'm not an expert in the type of mosaic (ie sheets) set by most on this forum. I only use stone so wouldn't offer an opinion as to the glass, and mine are all set by hand as opposed to sheets.

I have heard on a few occasions about this 'use white for mosaics'. I just wondered the reasoning behind it. I'm sure I heard someone say that it was because darker colours can bleed through the stone if it is a light coloured stone.

I use grey adhesive/grout all the time and this is because I've always found that the light colours pull apart the images whilst the effect of using grey to to hold the pattern together.
The image, hopefully shows what I mean.
Ivory grout 1.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mapei keraquick ok for mosaic sheets? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I recently tiled a shower floor with a basalt mosaic tile. I used kerapoxy for the...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.