Discuss Marble edge polishing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Got a couple of marble bathrooms coming up and I am looking at a cheapish and effective way of polishing cut edges. I have 4 recesses/shelves in one bathroom and I am thinking of butting the edges together and polishing the showing edge. I did a marble bathroom recently and the customer was happy with edge as it was cut. Admittedly it did look good but I need to take the next step and start learning how to polish the edges.
As money is a bit tight I don't want to spend too much on the wrong thing. I will definitely invest soon in the right gear but I need a quick fix. I have an angle grinder but not of the variable speed variety. I do have a Bosch GOP250 and thought about the fein stone polishing kit. Is this any good? Also thought about http://www.alpha-tools.com/Product.aspx?PageCode=700 which looks quite effective and comes in @ 100 bucks (with delivery)
Am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy the polishing kit I saw in STS Leeds for £135 + vat?

Last edited:
That's mad. I was through Towton today. Thanks for the offer but I ain't kenn on borrowing tools. That's the sort of kit I am after but can't really part with the funds at the moment. A job I posted on here about last week fell through after a week and I've had to pull this marble one forward. I was in at STS today buying materials when I saw the offer on the polishing kit which then got me thinking I need to sort this out. You keeping busy yourself?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
The job I am doing is in Harrogate. I've been working all year so far but not making any money. 3/4 days weeks and very little weekends. I've been waiting on this job starting which was meant to start 2 months ago.
Reagarding the pads for these polishers what sort of life do you get out them? Do you go through them quickly?
It depends on what your polishing really. If you ring Allan at ats he gives the best FREE advice on what to use on various tiles/stone.

C

Concrete guy

Also thought about Alpha Professional Tools which looks quite effective and comes in @ 100 bucks (with delivery)

A forum member brought these to my attention this morning, asked if we did anything like them. I've had a good look at the specification.

What the Alpha products are produced from is Silicon Carbide, but compressed into a solid wheel. Historically we used to call these carborundum wheels, often used for cleaning up welds and generally cleaning metals.

These will work, but at 11,000+ rpm they are going to be a bit difficult to control and you certainly won't be able to do detail work with them.

It's also worth nothing the Alpha products have a 5/8" bore so won't fit a European machine which is 22.23mm or 7/8"

C

Concrete guy

offer still stands if you want to give it a try.

We're selling a lot of these kits. We currently have no plans to drop the offer as it's an ideal starter set for tilers.

We do advise you add an extra backer though that has more flex in it for when you're not polishing completely flat surfaces, the standard one that comes on the Makita is very rigid and not particularly forgiving.

A sponge type backer gives the pads more flexibility and allows them to mould themselves in and around curves a little easier.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Hi Cul.

Your not far from us, I'm working in Barkston Ash at the moment.

Fine place to get your tools is STS though I have usually got my stone routers, pads , etc from Stone tools, worth a look.

I have the Makita sander.

Did notice that Pure Adhesion at Harrogate were selling off some Flex sanders at a great price.

Kevin
have got loads from pure adhesion online. Didnt realise they were so close.

F

Freeze

image.jpg
. image.jpg

This is how I mitre and polish

Kevin,
The last few weeks I've been on every bloody stone tools site going! I was going to get some stuff from pure adhesion and then some dude from mapei at the Porcelanosa open day on Thursday told me pure adhesion was in Harrogate. I'd only passed it nearly everyday this week and didn't know. Went in yesterday. Decent set up and will definitely be back. Didn't notice the price of the flex gear though.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marble edge polishing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Good evening to all. I’m here this evening looking for some advice if you would be so kind...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys! I am doing my first ever bathroom project and am after some advice from you true...
Replies
Views
Adam Heron
A
A long post and not tiling but I hope someone can help, I'm trying to get some decent...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I need a bit of advice. I've been asked to add marble skirting to the floor I'm tiling...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB