UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marble Fireplace On New Plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

EViS

We are replacing an old fireplace surround for a new marble one. The old surround has been ripped out and the wall re-plastered (hardwall and multi-finish) today. Do you guys reckon we would be safe to install the new fireplace on Friday (i.e. the plaster would have only had 2 days to dry) using a stone tile adhesive?

The customer doesn't want to wait 1 month but will no doubt call us back should the fireplace surround fall down. Seeing as we're not tiling an entire wall, I am leaning to the side that the plaster will support the fireplace surround, especially seeing as it will be supported vertically on the ground by the hearth.

What do you guys reckon?

C

Concrete guy

This isn't quite the same as considering sq/m tiling weights as (I'm assuming) the fireplace is fundamentally supported by the floor.

The bond to the wall it therefore not structural but just stability.

As long as you're comfortable that the plaster is cured enough to get a permanent bond then fine. 2 days is a bit tight though, unless the plaster is particularly thin. I'd want a few more days than that minimum.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marble Fireplace On New Plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.