Discuss Marine ply please help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richardkear

Totally confused now. Have recently pulled up tongue and groove flooring and replaced with 18mm marine ply to tile directly onto.
I also have one wall that I intend to tile on which will be 12mm marine ply. I have used this as I have to fix a concealed mixer riser rail and several other fitting to it. I also have a recessed shelf in this wall.
I posted a question ref tiling a window header which I boarded out in 12mm marine and asked why it was ply and could it be plasterboard.
Questions
1. Is the 18mm marine ply floor ok to tile onto
2. Do I now have to overboard the 12mm marine ply with plasterboard
3. Same question for the window header.
The marine ply wasn't cheap but I read elsewhere this was the way to go :(

T

Tony321

Hi Richard,
1)As long as Wooden Floors timber bases must be rigid. Is the marine ply directly over the joists if so i would put knoggings at the edge of the plywood. Seal rear and edges of timber, do not prime the surface, but clean off timber dust.
2)If you choose to tile over plywood you need to Seal rear and edges of timber, do not prime the surface you are tiling on, with an acrilic primer?
Also the plywood should not be butted up leave a 2mm gap for slight movement, also use a cement based flexable adhesive with a solid bed (in shower) it is always best to tank showers with a waterproof kit.

6mm Wedi board on top would be the best option if the buget allows.

But if done correct the ply will be fine.

Reply to Marine ply please help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi all I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Marine ply please help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.