UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marmox Backer Boards for shower enclosure? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dangertomyself

Hi,

I'm thinking of using Marmox 20mm backer Boards to do a shower enclosure. Are they any good?

One side would be fixed to a wooden frame and the other two fixed with tile adhesive to a 10mm layer of one-coat plaster over old, uneven bricks (it's a 1000mm tray to go in a 1060mm wide room)

The Marmox site advises to waterproof joins and penetrations with a polyurethane agent, what would be a good (and cheap one)? Their own waterproof tape is pretty expensive...

I was also going to use an MX Versatile strip to make the tray into an upstand. Is that a good idea?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

D

dangertomyself

Thanks!

I thought about Aquapanel, but I read you can't dot and dab it.
For the back wall it would be fine as it goes on a wooden frame, but on the sides I only have 30mm between brickwall and shower tray, so I thought this is not enough room to fit the frame and the board, and even if I could perhaps dot and dab and then screw the board to the dabs (I think I read that somewhere in this forum) it wouldn't leave enough room for ventilation behind the Aquapanel...

Is there a way to fit Aquapanel in a 30mm gap? Can you for example overlap the aquapanel over the showertray and then seal the bottom of the panel to the tray with silicone? The plumber suggested that but it doesn't sound so good to me...

And would you need to tank it? How does that work? I've heard you can't tank directly on Aquapanel.

D

dangertomyself

thanks Doug that's a very good idea - it might come in handy for whatever board I use.
With Aquapanel I would still be worried that the moisture would go through Aquapanel and disturb the plasterboard onto which it is fixed - is this just being silly? I forgot to mention that the enclosure would be tiled with 50x50mm mosaic tiles, so a lot of grout for the water to seep through.

Price-wise I don't see a huge difference between Aquapanel and Marmox (some, true, but at least I have found a suplier of Marmox who would deliver to the site, something I haven't been able to find for Aquaboard...)

Any feedback on Marmox boards or good, cheap waterproof tape?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox Backer Boards for shower enclosure? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Everyone, I have recently started the task of renovating the bathroom in my flat and am at...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Wetroom leaked. Former and first course of wall tiles removed. WBP ply on joists (shower tray...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hello I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.