UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marmox boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Hi all

Just taken delivery of some Marmox backer boards. I was really surprised by how light these boards are considering they take 62kg per sqm. They have foam middle and are mesh & cement on the outside.
Has anyone else worked with these? It doesn't seem possible that something so light can hold so much weight!

I have used the wedi which is basicly the same......yes they are light but they do the job....:thumbsup:

S

sibs

Hi dave I got 12 1/2 mm boards but they do bow slightly they're 600 by 2400.
Anyway I have a problem... half the room is studded which had lath & plaster and the other half is brickwork.
I want to screw the Marmox boards in horizontally on the stud side as to do it vertically would create too much waste.
The problem I have is when I stuck my straight edge across the studs a few were out of line. What I have been doing packing out any gaps between my straight edge and the studs with bits of wood but only where I am going to screw the marmox down.
Is this correct? If not how do I get the studs level both vertically and horizontally so that I don't end up with wavy walls?

D

DHTiling

Hi dave I got 12 1/2 mm boards but they do bow slightly they're 600 by 2400.
Anyway I have a problem... half the room is studded which had lath & plaster and the other half is brickwork.
I want to screw the Marmox boards in horizontally on the stud side as to do it vertically would create too much waste.
The problem I have is when I stuck my straight edge across the studs a few were out of line. What I have been doing packing out any gaps between my straight edge and the studs with bits of wood but only where I am going to screw the marmox down.
Is this correct? If not how do I get the studs level both vertically and horizontally so that I don't end up with wavy walls?

As long as you get them flat your method will be fine........sounds like a nice job....:grin:

D

DHTiling

Thanks a million dave can you screw things into these things with cavity wall fixings like you can plasterboard?

Yes tina ..Cavity type fixings is the way to go......if you know exactly where stuff is going you can fix before hand and then remove for tiling and just drill the screw head size in the tile....if fixing afterwards then you will need a hole big enough to get the cavity fixing through....

If you were to use normal plugs the stress of tightning of the screws could crack a tile because the plug will only grip the tile and not the marmox board if you see what i mean...so yes cavity fixings is the way to go...:grin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I've just seen patches of tile backer board with patches where something looks to have...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Now back to bare house brick and they not level, tiling a bathroom, shower over bath, was...
Replies
Views
Installing tiles 400x600 over an exposed exterior cement screed - it has 20mm fall over 2300mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.