UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marmox Information in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

Marmox board info,
again theres a web site and tech helpline :thumbsup:
hope it helps,
ed

MARMOX

Call [FONT=&quot]Technical Services on 01634 862 277 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.marmox.co.uk[/FONT]

Marmox are a British company with over 40 years experience in manufacturing construction products and they form part of the marmox group. Marmox boards have an ‘extruded polystyrene’ inner layer with glass fibre sheet layers on both sides reinforced by a polymer cement outer coating. The boards are lightweight, waterproof, easy to cut and have very high thermal values!

.Marmox boards can be used as ‘tile backer boards’, ‘insulation boards’ or ‘dry ling boards’ which can be plastered after priming with and epoxy primer OR SBR / suitable acrylic primer.
. Marmox weight ratio is the highest in their class at 62kg/m2
. Boards are available in the following thicknesses and sizes. 6mm x 1200 x 2500 and
10mm, 12.5mm, 20mm, 30mm 40mm and 50mm x 1200 x 2500.
. Other marmox products inc curved boards, pipe boxing and angled sections, thermoblock –thermal bridging and the ‘Showerlay-Shower base’ and the ‘Showerstone- Showerbase’.

Installation...
There are 3 methods of installing Marmox boards.
1. Direct Fix – apply a bed of spf adhesive to the wall/block work using a 6-8mm notched trowel. Fix boards into the adhesive and press in firmly. Run a bead of silicone down the edge of each board and push together to ensure a waterproof seal. This method is for reasonably flat walls/block work. If the walls/block work are particularly uneven, then use a solid bed trowel and ensure any voids are filled. Finally use fibre glass mesh tape over all joints

2. Dab & Dowel – Drill 5 holes in the back of the board, (approx 30mm from the edges) then bed a dab of spf adhesive over the holes. Press the board firmly onto the wall and level and tap into place leaving a slight void to the rear of the board and a 10mm compressed dab of adhesive. Allow the adhesive to set then, drill out 10mm holes and insert the white dowels. Hammer in the red pins with washer into the dowels. Tap the washer into the board to create a flush finish. This method of fixing is preferred for uneven walls/block work.

3. Fixing to Frame Work – you can screw the boards to timber or metal frame work using stainless steel screws and washers at 5 per meter. For a frame built at 600mm centres, use 20mm boards, @ 400mm centres use 12.5mm boards, @ 300mm centres use 10mm boards. Note: Marmox do not recommend using anything less than 10mm boards when fixing to framework.

‘’A bead of silicone must be run down the edge of each board as they are fixed into place to ensure a water proof seal. Apply the fibre glass mesh tape to the joints of each adjoining board.’’
Fixing to concrete floorsensure the concrete is sound and dust free. Apply a bed of spf adhesive to the floor using a 6-8mm notched trowel ensuring all voids are filled. Lay boards in a staggered pattern and allow a 5mm perimeter expansion joint. Use 50mm fibre glass tape to reinforce the joints in dry areas and feather off with spf adhesive.. 10mm min boards to be used on floors!.
Fixing to timber floors – use the same procedure as above only remember to prime the timber using a suitable acrylic primer and allow to dry tacky, then spread your spf adhesive and fix the boards into place. When the adhesive has set, mechanically fix stainless steel screws and washers @ 300mm centres OR 5 per meter. Make sure the screws go 30mm into the timber sub floor for an adequate grip. In wet areas, push silicone into screw holes prior to fixing for a water tight finish). apply a water proof tape over the joints and spread spf adhesive over the tape and feather off smooth.
Over 20m2: As above..Minimum tile size to be fixed is 150 x 150. Fit expansion joint where needed.

D

diamondtiling

Re: Marmox info

Good post Ed and very informative. I have used marmox for many years, lining large shower areas in leisure clubs and for laying floors to falls. A great product, expensive but well worth it in the long run.
If I remember right they also supply pre-formed chairs etc for wet areas, these can be tiled with mosaics. Only large budgets need apply for these items.

tiled-lounge2.jpg

:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox Information in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.