UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Marmox Showerlay.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DarkyUK

Hi All,

New to the forum and after reading some of the threads on here i'm now a little worried.

I'm in the process of converting the attic to a nice onsuite with a walk in wetroom shower, unfortunately I have already put a showerlay tray in and this is now fixed in place with its drain etc. While fixing it I was a bit concerned about its rigidity and I am now wishing I had found this forum before and at least gone for the more rigid version...

Anyway, am I now doomed or will this be ok once tanked and tiled? I am looking at stone 50mm mosaics which are in line with the manufacturers specs.

Andy

D

DarkyUK

Hi Guys,

This is a Marmox Showerlay Preformed Tray, it's lay on top of 22mm chipboard with a 6mm Ply, it is done as per the manufacturers guidelines but it is one of the foam trays, pressing down on it you can feel compression. The manufacturer guidelines say you can use upto 50mm mosaic tiles without getting compression points but i'm not exactly a small guy!

My concerns may be unfounded but I am still concerned.

Andy

R

Rich

Im afraid this is wrong, min of 18mm BWP ply on the floor. Any tiles put down onto 6mm ply WILL crack and lift sooner or later. I would get shot of the ply and get yourself a backer board like No More Ply or hardie backer, you can use 6mm backer board.
A backer board will be slightly more expensive than using the ply but will give you the substrate you need.

If you want some info there are lots of threads on here about the benefits of using backer boards over ply and there are hundreds of threads advising against 6mm ply on floors. Have a search :thumbsup:

D

DarkyUK

Im afraid this is wrong, min of 18mm BWP ply on the floor. Any tiles put down onto 6mm ply WILL crack and lift sooner or later. I would get shot of the ply and get yourself a backer board like No More Ply or hardie backer, you can use 6mm backer board.
A backer board will be slightly more expensive than using the ply but will give you the substrate you need.

If you want some info there are lots of threads on here about the benefits of using backer boards over ply and there are hundreds of threads advising against 6mm ply on floors. Have a search :thumbsup:

I'm sure you can understand why this was not what I wanted to hear!! The builder has put this down and was supposed to be laying the tiles also, does it help or make it worse that there will be underfloor heating down too with SLC over it?

Did I read right that you can tile strait onto chipboard nowdays with the correct adhesive?

Andy

R

Rich

No it doesnt make it any better Im afraid, 6mm ply is just to thin. The ply will expand and contract with the heat of the UFH and 6mm is just far to thin to stand this kind of punishment, min 18mm BWP should be used on floors and even this isnt ideal. The problem is that very few builders seem to know this. 6mm backer board is by far the best way to go.

If the bulider isnt happy about it then tell him that the above is in accordance with britsh standards. Just be aware that the backer boards need to be glued and screwed down to fill any voids under the boards.

B

Bucks.

The manufacturer guidelines say you can use upto 50mm mosaic tiles without getting compression points but i'm not exactly a small guy!

I Spoke to Harry @ Marmox the other day,
I explained that we are using 50mm mosaics and that the room may be used for a large disabled person ie using disability aids,
He was pretty definate about using the showerstone instead of the foam showerlay due to point loading, even though there website state that 50mm mosaics are ok.

Hope this helps

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Marmox Showerlay.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm struggling to get a tiler in my area since lockdown so I have taken the bold...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've put down quite a bit of tile over the years but always worked with backerboard. I'm...
Replies
Views
Zack Mc
Z
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.