UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Matching Border Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

StephenR

Hello Everyone,

I have had my first non payer in ten years and so have decided to go the small claims route. The detail of all this I will leave for now. The issue is whether I have made a mistake or not with the peacock border tiles. Please see the photos. He was disappointed the peacocks didn't match up in the corners. I can't see how I would have done that given the room is not whole tiles on any given wall. The walls are not perfectly vertical so needed cuts to the corners. The tiles were fixed using 1mm spacers. At any rate, overlap of tiles in the corners would remove the chance of match up anyway. Have I made a mistake or are the client's expectations out of line with reality?

This was my first go with traditional tiles and I know I could have done better on the external corner but again, the client didn't want other solutions I offered him at the time.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

Image023.jpg Image022.jpg Image021.jpg Image024.jpg

S

StephenR

Thanks again Ray. That pic of yours explained everything.

As I said in the opener, the detail of this is complex and not only to do with the tiling. The job is from 2009 and the vast majority of the non-payment is for plumbing work agreed with the client and then not paid. The non-matching peacocks has only just now surfaced as an issue. It goes on and on and on ....

I centered the field and then dealt with the corners but I can now see, due to my inexperience with patterned tiles/borders, that I could have followed the peacocks round the corner and then carried on down the next wall. The field may not have been centered with uneven cuts at either end but at least the peacocks would have lined up. The client was dead against having off joint tiling.

In 10 years of doing bathrooms, it has been the only trad tiled one, the only one with patterns in the tiles, the only non payer and the only upset client.

I knew I'd find the answer round here. Might not have been what I wanted to hear. I'll put it down to a learning experience :)

cheers,

Stephen

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Matching Border Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello I wonder if anyone has of the attached tiles I could buy from them or something that is a...
Replies
Views
Lilygrace
L
Hi there, Thanks for my successful registration within this group and Forum. I am currently...
Replies
Views
DiyRob
D
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.