Discuss Micromax 2 query? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Good Evening All.

Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on the Bal micromax 2.

As have tiled a floor and used the micromax 2 for the first time and have noticed a few weeks on some hairline cracks have appeared.

The floor is chipboard then overboarded with 15mm ply around a year ago.(not ideal and nothing to do with me)

I have put Ditra down with Ardex af200,used a s1 addy and grouted with micromax.

The Bal help line suggested this grout.

The floor appears deflection free.

Have never used this grout before and it is new so anyone any thoughts on it's performance?

Thanks.

Kevin

I

Ian

im using it next week on a wooden floor and have been told to mix it with GT1 to make it flexible..

I thought it was supposed to be flexible anyway, the price will be astronomical if you have to add gt1 to it.

Kev, I'm surprised this has happened, I'd give BAL a call and see what they say. Micromax 2 is meant to be an all round grout suitable for every scenario.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I thought it was supposed to be flexible anyway, the price will be astronomical if you have to add gt1 to it.

Kev, I'm surprised this has happened, I'd give BAL a call and see what they say. Micromax 2 is meant to be an all round grout suitable for every scenario.

i'll check tomorrow, just going by what my supplier told me...

K

kaharrison9

What was the mm fiasco AG?

I have a 90m2 floor upstairs in Ardex mg grout and not a crack in sight and i'm confident of none occurring.

Then I have a 160m2 downstairs in MM2 identical background as above and cracks appearing.

The only reason I used MM2 was because Ardex was out of stock and I was told what an amazing product the MM2 was.

The MM2 seems very light weight and is a pain to clean.

Waiting to see how far the cracks situation goes then will buy the admix and re-fill.

For the 2 part grout it will cost around £45/£50 for 10kg.

Main thing is to complete the job but will not be going down the MM2 route again

K

kaharrison9

The gt1 admix is for timber floors that are not overboarded which is understandable but overboarded floors the mm2 alone according to the back of the grout packet is fine. There is not even a mention of the GT1 on the info on the detailed grout packet.

As mentioned above I have a Ardex floor and a MM2 floor exactly the same background and one has grout cracks and one hasn't.

Bearing in mind the MM2 is not a cheap product.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
your right about the over boarding, same as they recommend bal super flex grout on over boarded floors, but bal wide joint grout with gt1 on floors that are not over boarded, not saying you have done anything wrong, but if the floor has to much deflection then the grout may not have been good enough without the admix.

really is a mine field imo, which is why I prefer mixing gt1 with wide joint grout for all my wooden floors.....belt and braces...:thumbsup:

K

kaharrison9

I have not lifted all the floor protection but it is mainly sporadic in areas and in say 6 tile runs.

I have total confidence in the 100m2 Ardex grouted floor which I didn't use admix with no cracks and am kicking myself for not using it downstairs.

I have lost confidence where the MM2 floor is leading to.

The marketing of the MM2 is very impressive on the bag, crack resistant, timber floors, heavy trafficked floors, highly modified,1 - 20mm joints, etc. Yet no mention of the admix. Even the bal technician made no mention of an additive.

Like for like with other grouts in my opinion it is not flexible enough alone to be described as a floor grout.

It is a new grout and maybe time will tell.

A test I have done is to fein master out one of the cracks and have grouted it with some Ardex, will be interesting to see what the result will be.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Micromax 2 query? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

On the final stretch of this lengthy project and would love to hear your views on Flexible...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB