Discuss Mixed adhesive for large tiles in shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

k_d_ch

I am a DIYer, about to tile walls in a shower. I have water-resistant plasterboard waterproofed with
Mapei Aquadefence. I am going to use large (250x500x8) tiles laid horizontally. I have been looking
for a water resistant, anti-mold formula in a bucket, but soon noticed that most on the market are only
suitable for tiles up to 300x300 in size. One product that explicitly says it is suitable for extra large tiles is
Evo-stik Large Tile Extra Grab adhesive. It does say on the bucket it is ``shower proof'', which I interpret
as water-resistant, however it does not mention any anti-mould properties. I suppose I should still go for
this one, using an anti-mould grout afterwards, but wanted to know the opinions among the forum
participants. I don't have experience using powder adhesive, so I am not sure I would get the consistency
right, and for that reason I am looking for bucket stuff. It has been mentioned on this forum that the
correct kind of trowel should be used, I guess this is to get the final thickness of the bed right, but I would
still welcome any comments on this as well.

R

robertson60

Hey kd, im a newbie to tiling myself, i have used tubbed stuff before, but im halfway through doing my bathroom with large tiles and powder addy, and you will be surprised how easy it is to mix, and how much adhesion there is, i worked out the quantity for 4 tiles at a time, for me its 4 litres of powder, 3 glasses of water, mrs went ape lol
, cheap paddle mixer of flea bay and a drill, dosnt sound very proffesional, but works for me.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mixed adhesive for large tiles in shower? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB