UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss mixed substrate floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MTiler

Hi

I went to see a job today that I need a bit of advice on. The three floors to be tiled were mainly of concrete but sections had been chased out for radiator pipes and covered with ply. Its not as if one half is ply and the other concrete.
The size of the floors are: 8.56m2, 2.42m2 and 1m2 and theyre looking at 300mm or 400mm square tiles.
Whats the best way to prep the floors for tiling?

Cheers
missyT

P

peckers

In the past when this situation has arrived as long as the ply over the pipes area is firm and solid what i have done is used the schutler kerdi mat to bridge over the top of the ply and over the screeded area by 100mm each side. Im not saying it is the perfect solution but i have done this many times and havent had a problem. I always use single part flexible in this situation for the entire floor.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Uncoupling was my thought - but are you suggesting just over the plywood areas with an overlap onto the concrete (my choice) - or uncoupling the whole floor area.
Certainly agree that by filling the chases with another mix would cause shrinkage.

Both ways john... both work and each job needs to be taken at their own face value..

i.e. what are the risks..

I have seen a few floor jobs where a crack appears in a line and on closer inspection it is in a break in the floor( like patching in etc) or cracks.

But the main thing here is the radiator pipes( heat) ...if the plywood sections are narrow and well fixed then even a crack isolator would suffice..

M

MTiler

Both ways john... both work and each job needs to be taken at their own face value..

i.e. what are the risks..

I have seen a few floor jobs where a crack appers in a line and on closer inspection it is in a break in the floor( like patching in etc) or cracks.

But the main thing here is the radiator pipes( heat) ...if the plywood sections are narrow and well fixed then even a crack isolator would suffice..

crack isolator?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to mixed substrate floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.