Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Mixing Waterproofing Products in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stealth

Hi All,

I'm refurbing the shower room; and I'm going to line my shower enclosure walls with some homelux waterproof membrane which I bought from Topps. Topps were out of stock of the jointing tape so I bought some from Wickes (wet room jointing tape).

I assume that these jointing tapes are very similar products and I can safely use a Wickes tape on a Homelux product? Am I right? Or do I wait for Topps to re-stock and go back and buy the homelux tape?

Any opinions appreciated

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi Stealth

The only problem that I can foresee is that if there is a failure with the Homelux kit, you wouldn't be able to claim because you didn't use all their products combined. And if the Wickes tapes fail, you'd struggle to claim because they will swear black is blue that it shouldn't be used with another manufacturers products.

If it's your own shower room, and you're prepared to waive the right to product guarantees (I did in my own en-suite as I ended up using BAL grout with Mapei adhesives), then the choice is yours.

Or take the kit back to Topps, get a refund, pop into Tile Giant and get the Mapei equivalent kit :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

You can over lap joints on the walls by min 50mm and this seals the joints.. in the corners then just cut up some of spare homelux membrane to 100mm width strips and use this to seal the corners..

Do it properly and no leaks...

It is worth baring in mind that walls etc should have no excessive flexing as the membrane can split... Not many membranes have a flexi jointing tape like Dural do..

So if the walls are ok then use the method i said above..

S

Stealth

You can over lap joints on the walls by min 50mm and this seals the joints.. in the corners then just cut up some of spare homelux membrane to 100mm width strips and use this to seal the corners..

Do it properly and no leaks... .

So don't bother with the jointing tape, just cut strips of homelux membrane and use that instead? (thus avoiding using different branded products). Is this your suggestion? Sounds like a good idea on the face of it.

Reply to Mixing Waterproofing Products in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm having trouble finding any decent stockists locally. I've got a Topps very near, plus...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mixing Waterproofing Products
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks