Discuss Moisture meter.... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Electronic meters are not recognised by any british standards for measuring moisture in subfloors. They can give an indication at best and if something were to go wrong and either an adhesive or a screed compNy were to question your moisture test method they would be unable to support your claims that a floor was suitably dried. The correct methods for floors are the carbide bomb, hair hygrometer or oven dried sample tests. Bs8204:1:2003 only recognises the hair hygrometer.

A

Alphadock

Thanks Ajax, I have found out from quick research the BS approved method.
An indication would be good enough for me, then more thorough investigation could be undertaken if necessary.
Knowing most of my customers, I think a surface dpm will be incorporated anyway, as time is always critical. I don't think many would even wait 48/72 hours for a proper test.

So , I do a quick test, it says it's dry. Screed has had 4months to dry. All's good.
Or
I do a quick test, it says moisture content is too high/borderline.
Screed has only had 2months to dry.
I can then give the customer the option to:
Wait a few weeks then 're-test
Use ditra mat or similar
Or do a more thorough investigation to give an indication of required time to reach acceptable dryness and/or confirm the need for ditra mat.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Thanks Ajax, I have found out from quick research the BS approved method.
An indication would be good enough for me, then more thorough investigation could be undertaken if necessary.
Knowing most of my customers, I think a surface dpm will be incorporated anyway, as time is always critical. I don't think many would even wait 48/72 hours for a proper test.

So , I do a quick test, it says it's dry. Screed has had 4months to dry. All's good.
Or
I do a quick test, it says moisture content is too high/borderline.
Screed has only had 2months to dry.
I can then give the customer the option to:
Wait a few weeks then 're-test
Use ditra mat or similar
Or do a more thorough investigation to give an indicatmion of required time to reach acceptable dryness and/or confirm the need for ditra mat.

fair enough. If it works for you thats good enough. As a backstop particularly if tiling to anhydrite you should consider going with gypsum adhesive.

A

Alphadock

I've emailed a couple of meter supply companies to see what they recommend.

I've only come across a few anhydrite screeds over the years, they don't seem to be very popular for some reason.
The 2 I have tiled I used ditra mat as timescales were critical, still work for the people involved with those so would know of any problems.
And 1 I quoted for and supplied a lot of specifications for, I didn't get the job. The customer went with another tiler that said all this prep is unnecessary and no need for the matting. I pleaded with the customer to do his own research and ensure the other tiler did the proper prep, and told him I wasn't bothered about not getting the job.
Don't know how it all turned out, but I definitely know it wasn't dry enough To tile directly onto

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I've emailed a couple of meter supply companies to see what they recommend.

I've only come across a few anhydrite screeds over the years, they don't seem to be very popular for some reason.
The 2 I have tiled I used ditra mat as timescales were critical, still work for the people involved with those so would know of any problems.
And 1 I quoted for and supplied a lot of specifications for, I didn't get the job. The customer went with another tiler that said all this prep is unnecessary and no need for the matting. I pleaded with the customer to do his own research and ensure the other tiler did the proper prep, and told him I wasn't bothered about not getting the job.
Don't know how it all turned out, but I definitely know it wasn't dry enough To tile directly onto

Not Popular?? about 25% of the overall UK screed market is anhydrite. Last year something like 2.5 million square meters was laid. Much of this was in single houses so lots and lots will have been tiled. As you say though if the customer has rushed it and the floor has not been prepped then it will fail. You are best off out of that particular scenario. Where in the country are you. Something like 50% of the anhydrite laid last year was in London and the South east..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Moisture meter.... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB