Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Mondays stink...sometimes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

There must be something in the air today, first site visit, was for finishing off and some snags. Everything was going good until one idiot wants to pick an arguement, for work completed 5 months ago. So now I have to drag all the paperwork out and re-send all the written instructions. I took it quite well and carried on my way to site number 2.

I wish I hadn't have bothered, it was like walking into a war zone. I hate unhappy sites, they contain unhappy men who want to blame each other when something goes wrong. A good site is when everyone helps each other regardless of trades, a bad site is when everyone wants to stitch each other up. I got slaughtered by the project manager, who I know is under pressure but used every dirty trick in the book. So I hit back and before long it was a slagging match, the final straw was when the bathrooms that were supposed to be started today have drawings but no dims! I hit the roof, I think I was shouting something like ...this is like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with no picture....(the rest isent for public viewing).

I stormed back to the office ranting and raving, and even ignored my Big Issue man who I see every Monday for a coffee. I'll return on Wednesday and apologise to him...I hate a bad start to the week.

Pebbs

There must be something in the air today, first site visit, was for finishing off and some snags. Everything was going good until one idiot wants to pick an arguement, for work completed 5 months ago. So now I have to drag all the paperwork out and re-send all the written instructions. I took it quite well and carried on my way to site number 2.

I wish I hadn't have bothered, it was like walking into a war zone. I hate unhappy sites, they contain unhappy men who want to blame each other when something goes wrong. A good site is when everyone helps each other regardless of trades, a bad site is when everyone wants to stitch each other up. I got slaughtered by the project manager, who I know is under pressure but used every dirty trick in the book. So I hit back and before long it was a slagging match, the final straw was when the bathrooms that were supposed to be started today have drawings but no dims! I hit the roof, I think I was shouting something like ...this is like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with no picture....(the rest isent for public viewing).

I stormed back to the office ranting and raving, and even ignored my Big Issue man who I see every Monday for a coffee. I'll return on Wednesday and apologise to him...I hate a bad start to the week.

Pebbs

These 'gentlemen' have always got to blame somebody else if their neck is on the block:thumbsdown:

Good pro-active project managers are worth their weight in gold but unfortunately are few and far between.

I would try really hard not to take it personally as next time you see him, he will probably be picking on someone else:mad2:

If you've got every site instruction and agreement in writing then he will be like a rat in the corner and pretty soon he'll be lurching for somebody else:thumbsup:

Not right, I know, but thats site management for you:prrr:

S

SandyFloor

Memories memories.

Site/project managers who are as nice as you like at the beginning of works but more than willing to stab you in the back when programmes start falling behind.

Incompetent architects who fall behind schedule but don't seen to care as long as they're covered.

Q.S's amply trained to screw the subby when the funds are getting low.

Mountains of paperwork to compile to protect yourself from the aforementioned.

Method statements / risk assessments for everything down to tying shoelaces.

I sympathise entirely .......there are good days too.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Pebbs, some site agents/ projects managers can make life hell. Years ago these guys were old brickies, joiners etc. in those days you could approach the with a problem, and they would ask "what would you suggest" you gave them your opinion, more often than not the response would be " we will go with that, you are the expert" Not anymore some of these guys have been in college longer than on site. letters behind their names but no experience. Ask the same question now, they will send a memo to the architect, who will send a memo to the client. Two weeks later you get a decision, hard work imo:mad2:

P

paul flight

my site is the same. ever since i told the forman carpenter where to stick his lazer level. pointed out to him that his boxing in was not straight . door frame was bowed .lump in the over boarded floor and window was twisted. he is not talking to us any more !. i miss him so much !! its taken him three days to start whistling again .
I make that 4 - 1 to the tilers and cnnot wait for the rematch . come on you gunners!!:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray: :thumbsdown:

Pebbs, some site agents/ projects managers can make life hell. Years ago these guys were old brickies, joiners etc. in those days you could approach the with a problem, and they would ask "what would you suggest" you gave them your opinion, more often than not the response would be " we will go with that, you are the expert" Not anymore some of these guys have been in college longer than on site. letters behind their names but no experience. Ask the same question now, they will send a memo to the architect, who will send a memo to the client. Two weeks later you get a decision, hard work imo

Spot on Phil:thumbsup:

H

hillhead

Pressure on a monday is typical Lynn.
It's a holiday over here and my wife is in Liverpool with her sister who graduated today:thumbsup:.
But i had a job to finish off this morning,a price was agreed with client a couple of weeks ago but i had 3 extra visits to it because of other problems.
When time came for cheque today he said original figure:yikes:.
I stopped him in his tracks and said " three extra visits Tony and not my fault so i have to charge you extra ! "
I got close to what i asked for so just ok,was too cheap anyway:thumbsdown:
Tomorrow is tuesday:thumbsup:

P

Pebbs

You do a good job and they kick you in the face, its the nature of the beast. Sandy is right as you all are, they start of trying to be your 'friend' and then when you stand up for yourself and your lads, they turn it into something personal. The electricians foreman kicked of today, he wanted the marble core drilled at 94mm and now hes saying its 2mm to big for the light fittings. So he can kiss my ..... on Wednesday, I didnt have the energy for round 3 of the great monday use and abuse contest. Im going to have a nice quiet day tomorrow doing cost budgets for a new project and screen all the calls. :thumbsup:

Pebbs

Reply to Mondays stink...sometimes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mondays stink...sometimes
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.