Discuss More dot n dab Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sibs

Hi gang
Firstly am I right in my selection of a 10mm round notched trowel for large format travertine? Say of they were in region of 600 by 300? If that is correct am I right in thinking a bag of white spf will give me a coverage of 4 - 5 sqm?

Secondly I have been asked to finish off someone elses handy work... not a particularly good job... the guy who started it... a stone mason by trade dot n dabbed the travertine on the walls including the shower area which has been tanked. I'm a little confused though because the guy said that sand had been put over the tanking to give a key for the adhesive to stick to :huh2: anyone heard of this method?

On the floor by the shower cubicle the previous guy has left an inch and a half gap between the first tile and the edge of the cubical :mad2:
He simply never came back so I have been asked to finish off which consists of a row of tiles around the top (room is half tile) including a window reveal, the rest of the floor which is all cuts because he only put the full tiles down and the ply base of the shower cubicle (more cuts). The tiles are a very wierd size... 405 by around 600 ish brick bond
I was thinking of charging £200 plus mats for the sheer hastle of finishing someone's very poor job. What do you guys think of the price?

Btw he told me that the floor had been tanked but the tiler had plyed over it:whatchutalkingabout

A

Alberta Stone

Posting a few pics really helps us decipher what people are talking about as words often fail to convey the important details.

Sounds like you are finishing off a bit of a mess.
I agree with sir ramic that you need to be very clear with the client as to no liability on you for failure of the other guys work.
I usually avoid those jobs.
But just make certain you do a great job at your part and take some pics as you go for future reference which show what was done and what you did and put them on a disc as backup which you hopefully will never need.

I also have no idea what the guy was talking about unless he means he put a scratch coat up over the tanking.

S

sibs

Don't ya just hate fixing other peoples stuff-ups Sibs? :mad2:

Well Mick I'm gonna charge him hansomly for that privalage. I doubt if there are many who will be keen on finishing off another tilers work... he said he was trying to get it done as cheaply as possible... he got the trav very cheap... £15/ sqm but the tiler came recommended:whatchutalkingabout
he must've saved a fortune on adhesive because there's no back buttering been going on... very shoddy job even down to how the ply has been layed.
I told him about this web site because he wants a big slab of marble for his fireplace

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to More dot n dab Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, Going through a major refurb on the house and recently had a 13mm limestone floor...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
More dot n dab Travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.