UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss mosaic format in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I'm trying to work out the best format for a stone mosaic floor and just want to get your opinions on which is the best format you want want the mosaic in if you were asked to set it.

For example, you have a client who wants you to tile a floor (marble tiles,standard size) leaving a 2m x 2m square in the middle for a mosaic to be inserted. The mosaic is made from rough 10mm x 10mm tesserae but either 4mm or 10mm thick with gaps of 1 - 3mm. Footfall would be normal home use and it's in a bathroom. The floor is prepped as per your specs.

How would you prefer the mosaic to be?

10mm thick on mesh (yes I have read that post about the Australian court case!)?
4mm thick tesserae set onto 6mm hardibacker in sections?
10mm thick reverse onto paper?
Anything else

Just want to get an idea as I've used the reverse and mesh before but just want to establish the best way to avoid failures.

This is most probably a generalisation but I do get the impression that mosaic bods are inclined to get technical information from other mosaic people. I went to the library and picked out 4 mosaic books and 3 out of the 4 recommended using (waterproof) PVA for outside work.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to mosaic format in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.