Discuss multiple problems with bathroom subfloor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

s.poulter

Hi there, long time reader, first time poster!

Im having a nightmare with my bathroom renvolation. I have gutted the room down to the floor joists. the old floor was 22mm chipboard which was very badly water damaged.

The floor joists are 2" by 5 1/2" and span just over 2400mm. they are at 400mm centres.

The first problem is that due to the damage to the floor, non of the old subfloor was safe to keep so i have had to cut it flush with the walls (which coincidentally sit on top of the joist). as a result, when I install the first part of the new sub floor (18mm WBP ply) there will be no end support spanning 2400mm. I cant sister the joist as there are carrage bolts, pipes and wires going through the joist under the stud wall.

My thought is to use 2" x 5 1/2" noggins every 300mm or so to connect the joist under the stud wall to the next joist in the bathroom. I am planning on putting the new bath in the corner where this problematic wall meets the external brick wall.

WIll the noggins provide sufficient support? is there anything else that I can do??

i will then over lay the 18mm WBP ply with 12mm hardibacker in preperation for cermamic tiles.

any help would be much appriciated

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to multiple problems with bathroom subfloor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

If starting from joists, what subfloor would you use these days? 18mm Ply first and then a 6mm...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
As an introduction, I'm a DIY home owner who has gutted the bathroom in a house built in 1980...
Replies
Views
Tony R
T
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Wetroom leaked. Former and first course of wall tiles removed. WBP ply on joists (shower tray...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB