Discuss Muppets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
thought i would share this disaster with you all,its made me mad as 1.i will have to re do the job and 2. whata complete waste of tax payers money

an old friend from years ago asked me to price plastering her kitchen as it was in a state and also to tile the splashback

the kitchen needed straightened out 1st then a skim coat over so i put that in at 3 shifts and 1 shift on the tiling

shes a single mum and its a council property so cdnt afford the plastering but did get me to do the tiling...job done i thought:glasses::glasses:

call today,all the plaster has started blowing in spots everywhere in the kitchen and literally falling off:yikes:
seems after an inspection the 3 man crew who took 3 days to plaster a 25 metre kicthen(9 shifts in all) didnt bother putting pva on the walls and now the lot is falling off

new tiling also to be removed and re done as its tiled onto the failed plaster

so 9 shifts and materials for the initial plaster no doubt another dozen shifts to rip it out and re do it and materials also paying for all tiles and re labour and materials to be done and all her painting

for what a 5 quid bottle of pva:thumbsdown: i have a word for them but i shall not post it:drool5: and we wonder why the countrys bust

W

White Room

if pva is bad in tiling why is it not bad in plastering ?

Hi deano, plaster is only lightwieght and should'nt be getting wet anyway and if it does the plaster can be damaged, so the pva would'nt make any difference...

As you know the weights on tiles is more substantial and pva is only recommended for upto 20kg m2.

Plaster skim 3mm 2.20 kg/m2
Hardwall-2 coat 13mm 11.60 kg/m2
Browning-2 coat 13mm 10.20 kg/m2

T

The D

Hi deano, plaster is only lightwieght and should'nt be getting wet anyway and if it does the plaster can be damaged, so the pva would'nt make any difference...

As you know the weights on tiles is more substantial and pva is only recommended for upto 20kg m2.

Plaster skim 3mm 2.20 kg/m2
Hardwall-2 coat 13mm 11.60 kg/m2
Browning-2 coat 13mm 10.20 kg/m2

plaster is a very porous material and therefore susceptible to moisture, so if PVA livens back up when it is wet why are plasterers still allowed to use it as a primer? If you go by those calculations we should not be tiling on to any plastered walls that have been coted with PVA prier to the plaster being applied as the whole thing is dependent on a material that has a maximum load of 20kgs. so now we have to factor in the plaster the adhesive the tile and the grout. it dose not leave much hope for large format tiles.

Reply to Muppets in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

kilty55

Arms
TF
edinburgh

Thread Information

Title
Muppets
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.