Discuss My biggest job so far in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

curlycan

Hi all
I have just been told that my quote has been accepted for a job retiling 4 rooms for a big company where I live. The rooms were a hallway which leads to a ladies toilet and a gents toilet which both need retiling and a separate disable toilet.

The reason this company needed these rooms retiling was because the tiles were falling off the walls, the tiles had only been up a max 5 years.

When I was asked to go and have a look at these rooms to find out why the tiles were falling off my jaw dropped to the ground when I had my first look, in certain patches the tiles (which were 150x150 white field tile and 150x150 blue border tile) bowed away from the wall so you could get a finger behind them the only way they were staying in place was the grout holding them together. After this I asked if I could remove some tiles to see behind them a check the substrate. omg I thought, I found that the wall was plastered and emulsioned, then the tubbed addy applied but this must have been really rubbish stuff because you could still see the trowel notches in the dry addy and the tiles hardley had any coverege of addy. This seemed to be bottom of wall and top so it wasn't as if the addy was put on too big an area and had dried out before they tiled onto it,also when the addy was trowled they didn't trowel in one direction but they arched and went diagonaly not a pretty site to see. Also I noticed that all the internal corners were grouted and not siliconed so there was no exspansion gap.

All I can say is this is a nice little earner for me so thanks to the guys who did a c**p job in the first place.

C

curlycan

Must have missed this post in June!
Its sounds as if the back of the tiles may have been dusty or very dry for no adhesive to have stuck. Could have been poor tubbed gear!
The emulsion will have to be removed before retiling and most of that will come off with the adhesive that has stuck.
Have fun.
Your not wrong tj also plaster will need roughing as it's been polished, good job i've allowed for this in my quote. Old addy comes off real easy with a wide scraper so hard bit is the emulsion. Just out of interest has anyone steamed emulsion off a wall like you would wall paper if so then is it easier than just scraping dry.

T

Time's Ran Out

Yes we just did a bathroom last month direct to a client who had paid a company that went into liquidation.
The walls were emulsioned and as we were about to start scratching the walls it became apparent it would wash off.
So warm water and a 3inch scrapper and 2 hours later it was as clean as a whistle!
The customer made the comment that they hadn't done that in another previous bathroom so I left my card for a few months down the line:lol:

W

White Room

Your not wrong tj also plaster will need roughing as it's been polished, good job i've allowed for this in my quote. Old addy comes off real easy with a wide scraper so hard bit is the emulsion. Just out of interest has anyone steamed emulsion off a wall like you would wall paper if so then is it easier than just scraping dry.

A steamer could blow the plaster finish

C

curlycan

Hi guys here are some of the many pics from this job.

Attachments

• DSCF0141-1.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0144.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0149.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0165.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF1727.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 26

Reply to My biggest job so far in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have to lift a section of floor in the kitchen and would like to replace with the...
Replies
Views
B
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My biggest job so far
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.