Discuss My first bathroom project in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MPC

Hi all.

I'm just wanting a little help regarding my first tiling project, my bathroom.

One of the walls is out of plumb by quite a bit so I plan to plasterboard the bottom half to sort it out.

Which sort of plasterboard would you recommend for it, does it need to be waterproof?

Also would it have to be treated at all prior to using adhesive & starting the tiling.

I am planning on using cement based adhesive, should I go for rapid set or not?

I also have an area where I'm going to have to tile onto tile (I know its bad practice but they cant be removed without damaging the walls) which adhesive should I be using for that?

Any help much appreciated

O

Olz

Hi mate,

Yes, it is bad advice.

Use normal plasterboard, if the wall is in the wet area eg the shower / bath then either tank the area using a taking kit or use a cement board.

As for PVA its a no no, when you purchase your adhesive, which should be cement based not ready mixed, it will advise on on the bag, on a suitable primer depending on what substrates you have.

What tiles are you using, and what are the other walls made from?

M

MPC

Thanks for the replies.

The tiles I'm using are ceramic 330 x 250 mm. The walls are constructed of lats of wood & rubble filled according to the owner. It's an old cottage.

The only part of the bathroom that needs boarding is the far end of the bath (away from the taps & shower head), would I need to tank/ use a cement board just for that small area. Approx 750 mm2.

Thanks

D

DHTiling

It still my be easier to board the whole wall plumb or you will be packer out still on the top half to accommodate board thickness.

Sounds like lathe/lat walls. and you can also mechanical fix into this to add strength when over boarding..

Is there any paint on the walls as they are at present.? in area's to be tiled.. this will need to be removed for better adhesion.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I asked a tiler who was working nextdoor to have a look & give me some advice.

He said to coat the painted walls in my bathroom with PVA & also coat the plasterboard in PVA prior to tiling.

I believe this to be bad advice, what do you lot advise?

Thanks

Hi MPC, you use the term "Tiler" loosely. I take it, hope you get sorted. You will get the help you need on this site:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to My first bathroom project in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB